To snoop or not to snoop that is the question? (Part 2) Child/Parent

Say you have kids in their teen years. They are very secretive. They say things are fine when you notice their behavior or attitude has change...it seems out of the ordinary. You know they have some kind of journal/blog. They also have social accounts (Facebook, Myspace, etc.) To some that is invasion of privacy. Would you snoop? Or would you convince yourself that your kid is ok...just going to a phase? What if by going to their stuff you find out if they are doing drugs, something else illegal, in a bad relationship, or something worse happened? Would you snoop? What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• With my kids that's a little different. I would want them to come to me first before I went snooping through their things. A teenagers trust in their parents is something that can easily be broken in their eyes. You say you don't like their boyfriend and they sneak behind your back, you want them to change and they flip out, because they're trying to find themselves and be independent. I wouldn't want to betray my child's trust by snooping through their things. Especially if there really isn't anything wrong. However, I wouldn't want my child to deal with anything alone whether it be good or bad. Therefore, I would make sure they knew they can confide in me and trust me to help them through whatever they're going through. If I honestly felt though, that they were going through something dangerous, illegal, or emotionally breaking and they wouldn't spill. I would be very tempted to snoop.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• With my kids, yes I would snoop if I deemed it necessary. I would try to get them to open up to me first, though, and if that didn't work, and I strongly felt that there was something going in, I would snoop. However, I also have to say that this is why my children's computer will be in the living room where I can keep a close eye on what they are doing on it, along with some parental controls.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• OP here:

I also have another question similar to this...if you answered this question, please take a look and answer the other one. Thanks so much!

To snoop or not to snoop that is the question?

Anonymous

• LOL omg you really have trust issues! First your hubby now your kids. Yes if they gave me reason I would "snoop" I just wouldnt call it that. Id call it caring.
    Anonymous

• OP here:

LOL Anon :50. Either you're right or jumping into conclusions. I'm not going to elaborate why the questions. Just wanting to see responses and thoughts. I was about to do a part 3 but that might be going over the top...probably be called paranoid or have snooping problems. LOL
    Anonymous

• LOL no... I'm sorry I was jk. Go ahead and do part 3. I have to be carful and remember you can't see that I'm smiling!! :)
    Anonymous

• OP here:

Anon :09...I would but I'm not getting much responses I hope I was going to get on these two. But if you want to know what part 3 was going to be....lol...it would be about about another child/parent relationship but reversed....instead of snooping on your kids, you're snooping on your parents. You suspect one of them is up to no good...whether it be cheating or having a shady past...and you want to protect the other parent. They have social accounts too and such...maybe even a cell under your plan. Would you snoop? LOL Sounds farfetched right...I'd really asked here...but I only got a few answers on this 2 questions...Idk if I'll get anymore.
    Anonymous

• AS long as they live in my house I can look through whatever I please.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• LOL well I guess we are all alittle nosy at times...I don't know if it would be "right" but If I had the chance i probably would :)
    Anonymous

• As my juvenile child I WOULD snoop bc I'm responsible for them and their behavior.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2009