how can i get help to get my gas turned back on?

my gas was turned off on friday and i dont know what to do or who to turn cause i dont have money to get it back on.can anyone help me?

forevermain

Asked by forevermain at 4:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• i'd get rid of your internet subscription (and cell phone along with other frivolous conveniences), that will help!

normally you would call your utility company and explain that you don;t have the money. I know that if you live in a state that temperatures fall below freezing, it is illegal to turn off the heat in the winter months--but you need to prove you don;t have the money by allowing them to perform a financial background check on you! trust me, if you have the money, they will not let you slide.
    Anonymous

• Well, that's going to be tough. Most of the programs available for that type of assistance have completely been depleted (and winter's not even here yet)! I guess you could try calling around to local churches, but they too, are having problems. The best thing you could do, would be to try and borrow money from family and friends. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• Use electric pans. Except in my case company has both accounts, so that would not work. Cut back on none important things and try to negotiate. I keep all lights off use blankets and heating pads. I do not use my gas stove, and the water heater, gas is set to very low. Sorry
    Anonymous

• Get rid of the luxery costs in your homes to help pay your bills. Such as internet, cell phone, any magazine subscriptions,etc. Don't spend money on anything you don't absolutely need. If that still isn't enough (which it should be) you can go to your local government's website and look up bill assitance. If you qualify you can get assitance in paying your bills.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I forgot to mention, I know people are quick to tell to drop Internet , and you should if it is DSL or some other  Big company, but you need it for jobs, banking and other such things. I hope you have a laptop if so then you can go to a library and get on line there. Look I lose a job in Dec and I need to be careful. If you need to make calls use www.skype.com   I got rid of my home phone and DSL that was 100, At least my car is paid off.  So my savings is over 500. You can do it

Anonymous

• sorry pc to pc free calls http://www.skype.com/

Anonymous

• http://www.adoptionservices.org/home_energy_assistance/index.htm

I hope something there can help you. The internet stopped being a luxury for most people somewhere around 5 years ago and I find it heartless, unhelpful and hypocritical (regardless of their income or situation) for people to tell you to shut it off because you're having difficulty; particularly when you're using it to seek assistance. Which I hope you are successful in.
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 5:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• to the person who said it was illegal for them to shut gas off in a location who has sub freezing temps, is not true. we went threw this and i told them i had 2 children in the house, one that is sick at all times. they still shut it off. little did they know we have a pellet stove so it didn't hurt us any! we heat the house with that threw the winter.
    Tatersmommy

Answer by Tatersmommy at 1:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2010