How do I learn to make healthy food that actually tastes good?

I want to eat better but I have a really hard time picking a salad over a cheese burger or water over Dr. Pepper. It seems like you have to give up taste for health.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Well, maybe it's an acquired taste, but there are ways to liven this kind of stuff up. If you're not enjoying salads, use some oil and vinegar, or even some lemons, add some cheese (not alot). Water, well once you start drinking more water, your body will come to realize the difference between real thirst and just craving caffeine. Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Salads really aren't healthy. Lettuce is almost all water and salad dressing is high in fat.

Go to google and type in super foods. You will find various lists of foods. Most will have most of the same foods. These are the foods you should try to eat a lot of and you will probably find you like a lot of them.

Find a place to shop that has these kinds of foods on sale often. Get what's on sale. When something like frozen blueberries and cherries go on sale then stock up. Frozen cherries are great! Right now good canned pineapple may be less than $1 a can. You can freeze fresh cranberries. Pumpkin is very healthy.

Super foods have lots of taste, that's why people don't like some of them. Keep trying good foods and you may learn to like them. Prepare things simply - eat raw, grill, steam, or microwave. Switch from white to brown rice, white to whole grain bread, healthy breakfast cereals.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Healthy food does taste good! Plain salad is boring but if you add a variety of chopped veggies, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, sunflower seeds or other nuts, chow mein noodles, a variety of meats, change up the dressings, you can have a very filling and tasteFULL meal.

Healthy food is more than just salad. Choose lean meats over fatty meats. A grilled chicken breast that's been seasoned right tastes great and my kids even prefer that on a bun over a hamburger. Stir fry that's loaded with veggies & strips of lean meat is great tasting and healthy too. The secret is in the seasonings. A baked potato has a LOT more options than french fries do and it has the advantage of NOT being deep fried.

As for drinks, I add a spritz of fruit juice to plain water or iced tea. I haven't had a soda in a long time and I can't even stand the taste of them now. They taste like what they are: chemicals.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• There are plenty of good tasting "healthy" recipes online. Best of all, they are FREE! LOL!

I like Ellie Kreiger on the Food Network's website.

Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

• Send me a message offlist, and I will be happy to send you recipes that are healty, taste great and are family and budget friendly.

Or, you can "healthify" your family's favorites: replace simple grains with whole grains, replace meat with beans or lentils, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Eating healthy can be harder because its more work. I fly by the seat of my pants all the time so trying to drop this baby weight meant I had to kick my butt in gear. Salad isn't very filling and dressing is loaded with either fat calories and ridiclous amounts of sodium. Eggs whites and a piece of whole wheat toast is an awesome breakfast. Grill up some chicken in some extra virgin olive oil with garlic and a little bit of seasoned salt and pepper MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMM Grilled lean steak every once in awhile is AMAZING. Two weeks of not eating sugar I swear to you you won't crave it anymore.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Get a couple really good cook books that have lots of reference information about selecting and using vegetables, whole grains, etc. My favorites are Joy of Cooking, Better Homes and Gardens, and The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking (available on Amazon.com). There are tons of ways to make healthy food taste amazingly good, especially if you look outside of "american" cooking.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• BIKINI BOOTCAMP AND TOSCA RENOS CLEAN EATING COOKBOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
    lilobrat

Answer by lilobrat at 1:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Healthy food always tastes better! Fast food and junk food are laced with chemicals so that you get addicted to them which is why you really can't eat just one Lays potato chip! Chemicals are added to the grease in fast food joints to trigger a response when you smell it in the air. look at the nutrition information on fast food and the fat and sodium content-gross! TheDailyPlate.com has nutrition info on fast food places and restaurants- it would blow your mind how those little innocent dollar menu items an kill you! If you an't afford to wear it on your hips, don't get it!It's bad for the kids too. and the Hubby...
    taraslife

Answer by taraslife at 5:51 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I disagree. You just have to learn how to make healthy food, it can taste just as good if you are doing it right.
    Anonymous