How can I change a bad (odd) behavior in my son?

My son has gotten into an inexplicable habit of constantly waving his right hand around. He's nineteen months old. He dances around waving his right hand in front of his face and ignores virtually everything else. No matter what we try to do he continues to do this. I'd appreciate any advice on how to change or stop this. He's been doing it for a little over six months and shows no sign of stopping. Please help!

Xingrong

Asked by Xingrong at 5:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to ignore the behavior. Hell stop once he realizes that hes not getting any pos or neg attention from it. Im sure it means nothing being that hes so young. Just act like its not going on. He'll either stop or youll realize that its just a quirky thing that he does
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yup, my son will do anything for a laugh or a little bit of attention. He only does it more if we pay him attention. I agree with PP.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• The problem is, he doesn't do it for attention. He does it to the point where he ignores everything else. He'll take a fall and land on his face since he won't use his hand to catch himself.
    Xingrong

Answer by Xingrong at 7:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Have you spoken to your pediatrician about this? I would defintely mention it just in case it gives them any concern. As for getting him to stop, they might have ideas for you too. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2009