for those who have adult add and take adderall ?

I'm 23 years old and have adult add. My doc prescribes me
20mg of adderall twice daily. The thing is its not working like
it use to (have been on this dose for over a year) and I need it
increased. How do I go about having him increase it ? The reason
I ask is cuz I kno there is so many people who abuse it, I don't want
him to think that of me b/c I really need it.
If you take adderall, how much daily ?
Also, the xr is to expensive .... Thanks

sounthernmommy

Asked by sounthernmommy at 6:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Health

• I always thought ADD was a fake disorder. Until I read an article about ADD that was the mirror image of my life. And I realized I had always had the symptoms but because i was a bright enough kid to not have to study no one noticed. I have a problem with hyperfocus, where when I am reading the whole world disappears, my kids have to call me like four times even when sitting beside me while I am driving or on the computer. I am chronically distracted and procrastinate even when I try not to. I work from lists and even that is a struggle. Of course by the time I realized it I had flunked out of college. I am also a chronic nail biter, like to the point of mutilation, all symptoms of it.
    With that being said, I am more creative, spontaneous, and empathetic. I think ADD is not a disorder but rather a difference that unfortunately our society doesn't work well with. To be successful in this society some people should medicate.
    Kirstennell

Answer by Kirstennell at 1:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• As a child I was put on Ritalin for ADD. I hated it it made me feel so drugged up all the time ,on the weekends when I didn't take it I felt lethargic, like I was having withdrawl symptoms. Since I quit taking it I feel better and I don't have trouble concentrating. Honestly I think it's a hoax. I don't think it exists (ADD) maybe this disorder was created to further the drug companies wallets. Many of the symptoms of ADD are misdiagnosed you could be suffering from depression or bi-polar disorder. In my case it was depression. It seems like they have meds for every condition today. I watched a special about Paxil for example the drug companies actually created several different disorders so that they're meds could be sold to more people.
    My mother is addicted to adderall. I know you said you weren't but if the med isn't working anymore it's because your body has built up a tolerance to it. Just because something is...
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 7:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• a prescription drug doesn't mean it's safe or helpful to you. Maybe you should do some more research about ADD and adderall.Not trying to offend you I just feel like we were made with everything we need and to add something foreign and chemical is wrong. Especially for children. There are exceptions (people who suffer from seizures, high blood pressure,
    ainstalshia

• No offense taken, everyone has their own opinion. But I have been diagnosed with depression, generalized anxiety, and ocd...I take zoloft for those disorders. I was diagnosed with those long before the add....so I don't think being misdiagnosed is the case.....
    sounthernmommy

Answer by sounthernmommy at 7:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Oh sry I didn't explain right. what I meant to say is that those symptoms you have are just depression and the other disorders. The ADD is just a made up condition to get you to take the meds. Not trying to sound weird or paranoid but 7 people in my family were diagnosed 4 of them I'm not even related to (My mom's adopted). I just think it's fishy how many people get diagnosed with it and no one questions. I'm really not trying to be mean you seem really nice. I just hate to see Dr. take advantage of people. Ok enough I'll shut my mouth now. LOL
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 7:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I would just be honest with my doc. Tell him you are not getting what you need from it anymore. Are you mentally addicted? Physically you are. Especially if you've built up a tolerance. What ainstalshia is saying does make sense. They make drugs addicting, and make money that way. We are talking billions of dollars. Really hun, you're 23 years old, taking 40 mg a day. After a year, you need more?So by the time you are 30 how many milligrams will you be on? 280 mg? I take pain med for a condition and it always gets to the point where I need more. I am going to wean myself off cuz i'm still in pain even on it so why bother with side effects? Please take care of yourself, you only get one life.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I do understand what you are saying. But the med does really help with my concentration. If I seen no difference after taking it then I'd say differently .....but it was a big difference
    sounthernmommy

Answer by sounthernmommy at 7:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• ainstalshia...if no one questioned the diagnosis, that is THEIR problem. ADD and ADHD are VERY real and not made up! You are entitled to your opinion, but until you have the credentials to back it up, shut your trap.
    Anonymous

• Medication is not the only answer. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2009