what happens if your 2 year old doesn't take a nap? (mine gets so grumpy by 4-5 that he can't function and he has to go to bed)

i'm really wondering if all 2 yr olds are like this. ;)

sometimes my son will not nap. he will stay in his bed for about an hour, sometimes even 2 hrs, just playing quietly, so that's good to let us get some stuff done and for him to have some quiet time, BUT then he gets so grumpy by around 4 or 5 pm that he cannot do anything but have fits, and so he has to go to bed.

usually this isn't a huge problem, because then he will sleep until his usual 6:30 am anyway, but when we are visiting family (like this coming THURSDAY), we can't get him to nap because he is just far too interested in what's going on, and then by 5 we have to leave.

Thanksgiving we are supposed to go to my MIL's around 11 am, then to my mom's around 2 pm, then to my dad's around 5, then to my husband's grandma's around 7 pm. yeah right!

so are your 2 yr olds like this? any advice =) thanks! and happy Thanksgiving ;)

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• and at what age might i expect him to at least be able to function without taking a nap during the day?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My dd is almost 3 and still takes a 2 hour nap. Mind you Im a SAHM and nap with her. Maybe if you lay down with him till hes asleep it will help. Boys are diff though. They can be more high strung at that age. Just wear him out and hopefully hell go down. lol GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• 5 or 6 is usually the age where they learn to function w/o a nap. Kindergarten
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• my son will be 4 on Wednesday and still naps daily for at least an hour, so IDK...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My 2.5 year old is not taking naps on most days. I was taking naps with her but had a baby in September and haven't figured out how to coordinate the two kids naps, right now I am concentrating on my 10 week old. She was not always napping even when I layed down with her sometimes for 2 hours. She usually does okay and when she does take a nap she is usually grumpy for an hour afterwards. She sleeps at least 12 hours at night though so maybe she is getting enough sleep at night to make up for it.
    ladsmom

Answer by ladsmom at 7:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Honestly now that our Zowie is 1yr and a half if she takes a nap and the situation was forced she wont sleep at night but if she falls asleep and takes a nap on her own then its ok - then she falls asleap at night I cant explain it :D
    silvershewolf

Answer by silvershewolf at 7:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2009