SAHM's, would you ever change positions with your SO?

My husband and I want to change positions. He would love to be a SAHD, since he doesn't get to spend much time with the kids. He works 9-5:30 and works 20 minutes away, so when he gets home he gets a couple hours with our oldest before he goes to bed. Our youngest is three weeks, so whenever she's awake he gets time with her. It would benefit us both if we switched positions, but it may not be possible with my small work history. I've worked four jobs since I was 18 and none of them are more then a year and a half. Not something an employer smiles upon, I know. Therefore, since I'm in this position I was wondering ...

1. Would you ever switch positions with your SO?
Why would you, or why wouldn't you?

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 7:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No i wouldnt. My DH works reallly really hard so i can stay home and i work equally as hard at home so he wont have to. I cant imagine being away from my children as much as he is and he has told me many times that he would go insane if he was home 24/7.
    Anonymous

• nope! my hubby works for microsoft and there is NO WAY i could do what he does.....
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 7:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• nope he is in the army and there is no way i could leave my family for a deployment that just wont happen i cant leave my kids like that now if he had any other job sure then i would love to
    mommam58122

Answer by mommam58122 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yeah I'm actaully planning on doing that if I work for the newspaper. I'll be making the same as he is maybe a little more than he is and I only work 5 hrs a day everyday which is fine with me. He wants to be home with the kids and if I do work he'll beable to concentrate on school more.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My husband and I have actually talked about this many times. We are currently talking about me going back to school and then when I'm done and I find a job he quit his so that he can go to school because he wants to be a nurse. But as long as I find a job making as much as he's making now we would switch because he doesn't get a lot of time with the kids and he wants to.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes. We actually just did that last year. He was a SAHD and I went to work. We both needed a break, so we traded. It was good. Next year, we should both be able to work since the kids will be in school all day.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I would not. He is great at what he does and I am a great SAHM. Works out for us. I would like for him to see what I do is hard somedays.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• No, he works so hard and works 72 hours a week. There is no way I would want to do what he does, besides the fact I could never do it ( I am not that good of a heavy equip mechanic). I take care of all his needs at home and he brings home a paycheck. We are both happy with this. When he is able to retire then I will work to bring in a little income and he can enjoy staying at home.
    Anonymous

• There are time that I would happily switch but know that I could not make as much to support the family. More important than that though I know that my husband does not have the skills or patience to be a sahd. We have talked about this before and decided that neither of us could do eachothers job.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2009