Do you agree or disagree with this quote?

"To not actively oppose bigotry is to endorse it."

--Pedro Irigonegaray, a lawyer who actively and publicly opposes Westboro Baptist Church and their actions

Do you think choosing to be indifferent about something is the same as endorsing it?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 7:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Not actively opposing something is like passively endorsing it.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 7:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think it's too "either-or". Being indifferent is not supporting, neither is it fighting. Not everyone is called to be activist. But then again, there are very small, almost invisible ways to channel your energy. I think in the case of Westboro, they have enough rope to hang themselves.
    shellbyrne

Answer by shellbyrne at 7:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I agree that not activially opposing is a form of endorsing
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I agree with it. If you aren't making it known that you disagree with something, people will, generally, believe that you agree with it. While I feel it is their right to believe what they want, I don't agree with the way they are expressing those beliefs.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yep. And I'd say that making any rationalization possible to distance from someone rather than just condemn them is the same thing (ie, well they aren't REAL Christians)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think that only applies to the big stuff. Pretending the nazi weren't really invading and not opposing them would be passively endorsing them. In the grand scheme of things the westboro church is a pretty minor problem. I'm against them and if someone posted here defending them I'd argue against them but I'm not going to go out and protest them because they're nowhere near me and my energies would be better channeled in to other issues that are either local or of national or international importance. We can't all protest all the bad things in the world.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I Agree 110%! Which is why I've never been one to keep my mouth shut!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• no i don't. for example, i'm indifferent about whether or not anyone vaccinates their child. does this mean i endorse it, or i don't endorse it? the quote is wishywashy, at best-it could mean totally different things, subjectively speaking. i don't 'actively oppose' vaccinations, but i don't endorse or 'actively' put my name behind advertising vacs, either.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I'll give a cookie to anyone who can pronounce that guy's last name right xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009