how old baby holding own bottle and feeding themselves?

my daughter just turned 8months old and she grabs the bottle and puts it in her mouth and starts sucking but doesn't hold it up. is it still too young? should i just keep presuing it or is she behind with this. its pretty funny to watch her just let go once she gets into her mouth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well my baby boy was five months but kids are all different this doesn't mean she is behind. She will learn don't worry!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Mine never did hold a bottle, but then we had them on sippy cups before 8 months. Maybe it's the way they're shaped? I don't know...but we did have to teach them to hold them up.

Holding the bottle isn't a developmental milestone anyway, so there's no worry.
    Anonymous

• They never should. It's bad enough to bottle feed at least the baby and the baby's bottle should be held while you are artificially feeding. At a year you can stop the bottle.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Its not bad to feed a baby with a bottle, you're feeding your child. I wish Gailll would get off her high horse and stop trying to make people feel bad about feeding with a bottle since she's oh so perfect. Your baby will hold a bottle when she's ready to, I wouldn't push the issue.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• How is a bottle artifically feeding. She never said whether there was breastmilk, formula, or moutain dew in that bottle. Just when she would be able to hold. Geesh!!!
    Anonymous

• calm down ladies. i breast fed and i went to bottle feeding because i went back to work full time. and u are correct i guess when she is ready she will hold it. i didn't want to cause any issues. but the people with the breastfeeding need to calm down. its every mother's right do feed her baby the way she wants to. just because you choose one way that doesn't mean its right for everyone. so chill. thanks for everyones response and those sticking u for me.
    Anonymous

• Gailll - Could you possibly be any more irritating? How about you actually pay attention to your kids once in a while instead of spending your entire day on cafemom, judging people and pushing your opinions on them. Not everybody is able to feed their babies with their breasts no matter how hard they try and some women just don't want to. Quit being such a judgemental bitch. You do more harm than good here. I'm a little confused by the term *artificially feeding*. This mom is feeding her kid real food as far as I can tell. You seem to be chock full of *artificial intelligence*, living in an *artificial reality*, and perhaps it would do you some good to go and get a real life and possibly a real personality. Just a suggestion.....
    OP - My daughter is able to hold her own bottle and has been since she was 6 months old but she *won't* do it. She does the same thing as your kiddo. Pops it in her mouth and then lets go. :)
    ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My son is just about 9 months old. He can hold the bottle on his own, but won't, as a previous poster said. He will grab it if I'm not fast enough getting it to his mouth, but then he lets go. While there are times when I wish I could give him a bottle by himself, I love that he still wants to cuddle with me while he eats. I know it won't last much longer.
    FFW619

Answer by FFW619 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2009