I'm really depressed. I hate staying at home.

Well, long story short I stay at home all day with my daughter while my bf works. He wants me to stay at home. I don't really want a job, and I don't like "mommy groups" or "play dates" or what not. Everyone always brags about the things they have or what things/activities their kids are in. We don't have a lot of money, so we don't fit into that. Do I need antidepressants so I can feel like everything is ok? I don't think I can get a job because then all of our money would go to daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I like to go to library (free) they have programs for mommy and baby, go to park. Anything to get out of the house. It is a very hard job to stay home. It's very lonely and boring for some people. I don't think antidepressants are the answer, unless you are really depressed. Just find something you enjoy. I used to babysit to make money without paying daycare.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I feel if you aren't happy being home you are doing you and your daughter a disservice. Perhaps you could arrange child care with a relative. If you're unhappy because you can't do the things other's can do then find affordable things (library, annual passes to museum or zoo) I was miserable away from my children, but being a SAHM isn't for everyone.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• no one tells you how hard being a stay at home mom is. I was a really social person and then I had my dd, we lost an income because I didn't go back to work, and I was feeling the same way as you are. I went through an emotional roller coaster! The first year is the hardest! I decided to work from home because it gave me a sense of fullfillment (more then what I got with raising my dd). But working from home gave me something to get excited about and it was something I was in control of. I also decided to go back to school so when my dd was old enough, I would have a degree and be able to make more money! I have less then a year left and I'm really glad I did that! The point is, find things for you to look forward to...whatever it is. Since I couldn't afford a babysitter, I worked from home when my dd went to bed! Let me know if you ever want to chat...I know exactly what you're going through!!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 8:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• mabe try getting a job were u would only work mabe 15hours a week, i had on at the dollar general. or when hubby is home go out by ur self to the store,or get ur hair done it realy does boost ur self esteam to buy urself something or go out and do something.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Well, activities don't always require much money. I totally understand you, but I imagine as they get a little older . . it gets easier to do things and keep busy. As young toddlers, you can't do much activity-wise. I can't wait until my daughter and can make crafts or even draw pictures. Maybe you could join a gym . . . exercising can do wonders for me and make me feel like I have accomplished something for the day other than cleaning and cooking. If you can't afford a gym membership, maybe try an aerobics video . . . just some ideas . . I know it's hard.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• If you don't want to work, but don't want to be at home.... i would get some help. my answer is very serious..... try talking to someone about it first.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Have you tried exercising? It is a natural high, may take a few weeks to kick in.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Chin up, momma - you've got the most important job of all. Things that will make you feel better are getting some exercise, getting some fresh air, and maybe a hobby. You'll have those days when you just don't want to be at home. I used to get cabin fever when mine were little and I was stuck at home. But they grow up so, so quickly, and you'll have a little more freedom before you know it. Trust me...time flies. Just make the most of what you do have, and hop on here from time to time for some grown-up conversation. ;-)
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I stay at home in the summer with my daughter because I teach, but I still dont like being home all day with her. Not that I dont love my daughter I just think staying home is super boring and it makes me feel like I did nothing all day. I started taking her to the library for reading and some times museums and things have free days. The childrens museum here in atlanta have free tuesdays. Its worth a try. If you really dont want to be home also maybe try applying for child care assistance which would help pay for child care, if it isnt afforable.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I totally understand. It really is a lonley, boring,thankless, and fustrating job, but someon has to do it.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2009