Are your parents divorced?

How old were you when they divorced? What did they do to make things easier or harder for you? Do you think it affected how you are today in a good or bad way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• My parents divorced when I was 5 it was the best thing my mother could do. He was an abusive alcoholic who did a lot of damage to his family. It made things harder in some ways but easier in others. I no longer had to smile and play sweet daughter when I didn't want to and I could be honest. For awhile it affected me adversly in my relationship with men till I sought counseling to put things in their respective places. It affected me in a positive way in the fact that I was extremely picky in the men I dated and I never let anyone put me in a box again.
    Anonymous

• My parents are divorced and have been since I was 13. It was the best thing my dad could have done becaue they faught constantly and my mom had put him in so much debt. It made things so much easier and less stressful for me, my dad, and my sister. To be honest my dad and I were close but after he divorced my mom it just brought us closer. It was hard on me at first especially when I found out but it sure didn't take me very long to accept it. When I got married I did make some mistakes that my mom made but I learned from them and I have a whole lot more respect for my hubby then she ever had for my dad.
    kimosgirl08

Answer by kimosgirl08 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My father was a abusive alcoholic. I wish I could say i was little when my mom left him or that I never knew him but that's not the case. She didn't kick him out until I was 16 and divorce him when I was 18. I wish to God everyday she had made him leave when I was little...maybe I wouldn't have some of the awful memories I have now of him.
    babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• No. My parents were married for a week short of 44 years when my Dad passed away in 2004. I still think of them as a married couple and always will.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Mine are still married. My husbands are, too.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes, mine are. They divorced when I was about three & I'm glad they did. Neither of them did anything to make it easier on me or my brother. Our dad was constantly moving around & always skipping out on his visits with us. Our mom remarried a few times and had a few different live-in boyfriends. It sucked growing up, but I'm now happy that I grew up that way, because I see how things like that can have a great effect on a child's life & I refuse to do that to my daughter.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• my still are married , althought they hae gone tru really really difficult times (thanks to my dads stubborness) lol , but they have managed to stay together
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My parents have been happily married for almost 38 years. My DH's parents divorced when he was about 7.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2009