does it drive anyone else crazy when someone says the doctor delivered the baby?

i don't know why but this is such a peeve of mine! why does everyone always say "my doctor delivers at general hospital" "the doctor that delivered my baby...blabla"? same for midwife, but i usually hear it with the word "doctor"

it just drives me crazy because the doctor doesn't deliver the baby, the mother does, the doctor just attends the birth.

am i the only one who cringes every time they hear this? or am i just being uptight? lol ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• lol...I won't say you're uptight, but no, it doesn't bother me. I know what they mean...they just mean that the dr assisted with the birth, and find it easier to say he/she delivered the baby.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It doesn't bother me at all...I know what they mean.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Lol. I understand where you are coming from but no, it doesn't bother me. I don't think you are being uptight. You just pay attention to the details in someones conversations.
    sclj116310

Answer by sclj116310 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My sister, who is a nurse/midwife, caught the baby that I delivered...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• It drives me nuts as well ;) In our society though women give control over to the Dr. and most Dr.s have the mentality that the laboring woman needs to be saved. Therefore they "deliver" the baby.

I'm not even a fan of the word deliver, pizza is delivered. I gave birth and my midwife and husband (for second birth) caught.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes this bugged me but what bugged me more was when my DH would say "we're pregnant". NO! I'm pregnant. We're expecting a baby.
    TotallyWarped

Answer by TotallyWarped at 9:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• well, the Dr. definetly delivers the baby when it's a C section. I can't stand when women say... "I delivered my baby" when they had a C section.

But yes, it bothers me very much. I usually say, I gave birth.

And also, people will say, "Bryan's having a baby". Umm... no... I'm having the baby. Hello!
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think that when we say someone else (who sat at our bums, waiting) did the "work" it transfers power~ important for empowerment.
    This is a time when moms need all the strength and support they can get.

It's all just a bunch of words, really.
    BUT words can be VERY powerful...

Moms should work to say that *they* deliver their own babies, definitely!

And how about when people say things like:
    "Your doctor *LET* you go home after your water broke?!"
    or "Your doctor *LET* you go to 42 weeks?" (Or whatever...) !!!
    No-- the mom is the one who does ALL the "letting" here.
    That is frustrating. :- /
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Actually the word deliver in itself bothers me when we are talking about birth, its like talking about the mail. I gave birth to my children and my doctor attended the birth! Im not American and in my culture its called "duna lus", it means to give light..to me that is a much better way to call it.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i'm OP. i prefer birth to. i say i gave birth or i birthed my son, not i delivered him, and i say my CNM, husband, and nurses attended. while i consider their support invaluable during labor and birth i know i did the bulk of the work!!! ;) i do the doctor lets stuff too but i always put it in quotes, like the doctor "allows" VBAC or the doctor doesn't "allow" VBAC. :P thanks ladies for your input. glad no one says i'm uptight. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2009