have any of you ever been so tired of your kid not cleaning up their mess, and you having to do it, that you took all of their toys away?

i guess i reached my breaking point today. most of the time my daughter listens to me, but today was one of those days that she wasn't. she made a huge mess with her toys in the livign room and her room. i asked her to clean them up, and she said no, you do it. i told her that if she didn't pick them up that i was going to take them all away. and she still didn't listen or pick her mess up, so i went in the kitchen and got a garbage bag and started putting all of her toys that were on the floor in the bag. i told her that if she could be good and listen she could have them back later. and she finally started to behave. haev any of you done this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You mean obey not listen. You have to be careful and use the right words with your children. Listen means hear with your ear.

No, I would not do that. If I said I was going to throw them away that is what I would do. I say what I mean and mean what I say. I follow through. My children listened and obeyed because they knew that. When she said no, I would have bagged them up and they would have been out in the trash. Not as a punishment but as a logical consequence.

As long as you keep saying things over and over again and not doing what you say you are going to do your children aren't going to obey. It won't matter if you punish them. That will just make them behave worse and resent you more.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Right on! Show her who is boss! lol What I mean is you did good. She did not respect you and she should NOT be rewarded and you gave her a consequence..
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• op- i didn't tell her i was going to throw them away, i just put the bag in the other room, and said she could have the toys back if she 'obeyed'.
    Anonymous

• Yes I have done that, he got his toys back slowly as he learned to behave. My son would have been in so much trouble for talking back to me its not funny!!!
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 8:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes I have. But it wasn't after the first offense. My older kids just refused to keep their room clean and I was tired of standing watching them for 4 hours every Saturday to make sure they actually did it only for them to trash it by Sunday. So I finally told them if they didn't get it cleaned up by the end of the weekend it was all going. And it did. They have almost nothing now and it's been 6 months. They each have about 1 small box of toys (a few Barbies/Bratz for the girls, some cars and army men for my son) and some books and that's it. All their other shelves are empty. Everything else is in boxes in the basement.
    Sadly, they still can't keep their room clean. They obviously still have too much stuff. They might not get anything for Christmas since they can't take care of what they have.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• yep, numerous times.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Sure have!
    My youngest daughter had all her toys and dolls everywhere that I just got fed up and donated all her unbroken ones to charity and threw the rest away. Of course, she was 14 and had no interest in them anymore, but she actually liked her new "streamlined" bedroom with less clutter.
    Now, if I can get her to take care of her clothes and pick up all her schoolwork we'll be in business!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2009