• In the Spotlight:

Concussions

my son tossed a matchbox car, and it hit my daughter on the side of her head. It's an older car, the heavier kind. Now she feels like she will throw up. I know that's a sign of concussions. Could the car possible give her one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Health

• If you are really worried. bring her to the ER. Or Go to WEBMD.com

Answer by louise2 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Probably not, but if your worried call your (on call) Pedi and they will ask you a few questions, and tell you what to watch out for!!! Usually a concussion is caused by a full head type trauma where the brain is "slammed" around inside the skull a bit more.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/concussion/DS00320/DSECTION=symptoms

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you call your child's doctor for advice if your child receives anything more than a light bump on the head. Signs that a child who has a head injury needs medical attention include: â– Loss of consciousness â– Repeated vomiting â– Seizure (convulsion) â– Headache that gets worse over time â– Changes in your child's behavior, including irritability or difficulty waking â– Changes in your child's physical coordination, including stumbling or clumsiness â– Confusion â– Slurred speech â– Lasting or recurrent dizziness â– Blood or fluid discharge from the nose or ears â– A cut that won't stop bleeding after you've applied pressure for 10 minutes

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I would take your daughter to the ER. I got a conccusion when I was young from someone throwing a rock at me. You should never take cances with something so important.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 9:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I would take her to the ER, it does not always take a hard hit to the head to cause a concussion or any other head injury. She feels like she is going to vomit, take her in now. Don't fool around with a head injury, even a small one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I took her. He said she could have a minor one. I don't fool around with their health to begin with. I just didn't know if that kind of hit could cause a concussion. I mean, it was a match box car. She is much better though!
    Anonymous

• Good to hear she is doing better!! Figured they'd say she might, but without an IMPACT test and a CT scan they can't tell for sure. Unless they have one the the symptoms I mentioned above, they don't usually really do either of those. Getting a concussion that way is not the norm, but not unheard of. Plus, concissons are harder to evaluate the younger the child is. Always best to call your Doc if you are in doubt!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009