strep b test..

so i am going to get that test tomorrow, and should get checked to see how thin everything is, and if i've started dilating! i'm due the 16th, sooo...what do u ladies think..how were/are you during this appt..i'm 36.5 weeks along!!

burr_and_e

Asked by burr_and_e at 9:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Every doctor/midwife is different. I'm just as far along as you are and I had my strep b test done this past Wednesday. My midwife went ahead and checked me because I have been experiencing a lot of pressure in my pelvic area. I am 2cm dilated and I have been measuring big this whole pregnancy. She believes I can go at anytime. I have another appointment this coming Wednesday and she is planning on checking me again. So, if you want to be checked to see how you're progressing, then be checked. I'd honestly prefer to know what's going on down there haha.
    Anonymous

• The doc should start testing you every week from now on anyway. If you have been feeling some activity down there then it wont hurt to ask if they dont offer it first.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Being check to see if you've dilated doesn't really have any bearing on how soon you'll go into labor or how fast your labor will be. Just don't get your hopes up and be disappointed if you aren't dilated at all.
    Good luck though, you are getting closer every day!
    Anonymous

• The test is just a little swab you won't feel anything. My cervix is really far back there so when she checked me i literally felt almost past out. Thats not very common so hopefully it won't be like that for you. I was dialated 2 cm for 5 weeks and had to be induced.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yeah I'm not the only one getting poked at tommorrow!!! Sorry, it just makes me feel a little less alone. Anyways my OB told me that when he does the Strep B test he's going to start checking my progress too. Also you're nearly 37 weeks so they should start checking you. More then likely you're doc will check to see if you've thinned or dialted tomorrow.
    Anonymous

• There is absolutely no reason for them to "check" you. As a PP said, you can be dilated for weeks without going into labor. I'm 41 weeks and I haven't had an internal exam since my first visit at 12 weeks. They will do one this week if I need to be induced. With the Strep B test, it's just a quick swab, not invasive at all.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• well i know i'm definately going to be checked...i just wanted to see if anybody had results and just something to look forward to... i'm pretty sure i've started dilating..i figure at least 2cm..we'll see tomorrow!!! and i definately have started thining! tonnnnns of pressure and tenderness. gonna ask the dr. if he thinks my little girl perhaps will natually come b4 due date...my last visit was 11 days ago, i was 35 weeks and she was measuring 37..so i'm VERY anxious to see how this appt. goes! i had a friend that went in friday for the same test, and shes started thining and whatnot, they were already talking about inducing her around the 16th..shes due on the 23rd..
    burr_and_e

Answer by burr_and_e at 11:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2009