Is it possible for PMS to get worse after you have a baby?

Before I had my son I hardly ever complained of PMS. Now, even though he is already a year, its like im getting PMS so bad. I feel gross, I turn into an emotional wreck and just want to cry or hurl things, I crave a whole bunch of fried foods or certain tastes. I swear its like being pregnant and having all those crazy hormones but for a shorter period of time and without a kid resulting. Am I going crazy or did you also find that after you had your kids your PMS was worse than before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Health

• It takes over a year to return your hormones back to normal. I think that the emotional wreck part will always be worse because there is a lot more responsibility and things never go planned with a baby. Life is a little more stressful with a kid and that can make you grumpy. Also your uterus has to go back to normal and that takes about 2 years so your cramping may be worse. So yes I do think my PMS is worse!
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• omg i believe so because my son is 16 months old and my time of the month is worse then ever. The cramps feel like contractions, my mood is aweful and i really cant help it, and then i get all emotional about some stupid ass stuff. it sucks !
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Having a baby changes everything, physically and emotionally, so PMS could definitely be worse now. Have you started taking any kind of birth control? That can mess with your moods and cause headaches and cramping too, so maybe talk to your dr about it.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Don't know about the PMS part. but befor I had my first, I ust to have really bad cramps. but after I had her I stoped cramping on my periods.

Answer by louise2 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• YES!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I didn't have any PMS problems before or after I had my daughter 22 years ago, but after I had my son 11 years ago, I have PMS problems that are beyond belief! I'm either very emotional one month and evil as the day is long the next. I think this is one of the reasons I told DH 11 years ago I didn't want any more kids, I'll bet I'd probably turn into a psycho killer! lol
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Yes, I think it is worse. As a result of this newfound hell, really try drinking lots of water, use supplements and don't overdose on the sodium and sweets. Just eat as healthy as you can and fight those cravings. It helps to worsen the symptoms if you eat like crazy.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I never had any pms before kids and then it got worse with each pregnancy.

same with cramping...never before then it got really bad after 1 and 2, then somehow it stopped with #3 (I love my little surprise baby lol)

but these days I'm a raving loonybird around my period.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2009