When is the best point in pregnancy to find out the gender of the baby via ultrasound?

I'm only 8 weeks along but I can't wait to find out the gender! I was just wondering when the best time in pregnancy is to get it done when the results would come most accurate. I know women get it done around 20 weeks, sometimes sooner, but the longer I wait is there any chance for improved accuracy?

sclj116310

Asked by sclj116310 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i found out @ 4 months & they were right.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• 15 to 20 weeks. You dont want the baby to be too big or they will have there legs together because of being crammed in there. I found out at 17 weeks when I was prego with Isaiah.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Between 16-22 weeks is what I've been told. Earlier or later won't be as easy for the u/s tech to see everything..
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• 20-26 weeks I've had 4 kids and all of mine have been correct. If they tell they're 80% sure of one sex don't believe them. Either ask them to check again or buy cautiously. When doing an ultrasound to determine the sex of your baby, an ultrasound technician will actually look for girl genitalia - labia and clitoris. When these are seen it is often referred to as the "Hamburger Sign" because the clitoris between the labial lips looks hamburger-like. Where the labia would be the buns of the hamburger and the clitoris would be the meat. If they can't find it then it's a boy.
    Anonymous

• At 26 weeks the tech could easily find the three lines to show it was a girl.
    Anonymous

• yes if you wait till 20 weeks or later it is less likely to be wrong. At the beginning they all look the same(male looking parts) so to make sure you don't get the sex try to hold off till then
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Ask your doctors office when they will do it. Mine has always been between 18-20 weeks. Mine is tomorrow!!!! I am SOOOOO excited I can barely contain myself, LoL. I am hoping for pink, I have two sons already, I want a daughter too! Think PINK for me mama, and good luck to you finding out in the many weeks to come!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• it is twenty weeks for a girl but sometimes they can tell if its a boy a little sooner
    NicoleSkye

Answer by NicoleSkye at 10:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• 15+ weeks and for the most part they're right the first time but there are lots of times where they've been wrong
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think I was 12 weeks or 13 I cant really remember. It was about 5 months before my due date. Her legs were crossed. Then we did one at like 22 or so the 3d one and her ankles were crossed.
    momma2rhylee

Answer by momma2rhylee at 3:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2009