How could Colombus have "discovered" America

If there were already people living here???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Shhhh!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Exactly. You should read A Peoples History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• He made other parts of the world aware of its existance. Then we killed a bunch of Indians and celebrate it with a Holiday called 'Thanksgiving".
    Anonymous

• Lol I am Indian and I say we were here first but I do think that he claimed the land and made something of it so I guess he did "discover" it.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• rkoloms that sounds like an interesting book I'll have to check that out!

OP My five year old asked that same question when they were learning about Colombus in school! So I've been looking for something to teach him what REALLY happened.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Historically, that's what people do. Africa, New Zealand, Polynesia, etc. already had people living there and then they were discovered by explorers. It happened. Get over it.
    Anonymous

• Colombus did NOT discover America!!! The history books are being changed. My son is in middle school and came home and told me all about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Get over it.

NO
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Columbus didn't "discover" America, he meerly got credit for it. There's written proof of the vikings visiting long before Columbus was a glimmer in his grandmammas eye. & besides if Columbus "discovered" America why are they called Native Americans? A great book is "Lies My Teacher Told Me"
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• There is a book called "Lies my teacher told me" . . you might find some info there. Colombus didn't discover America, in fact, he thought he landed in India; thus "Indians." Colombus Day is a ridiculous Holiday to me and we celebrate Thanksgiving here in the essence of spending time with our family and being thankful for what we have NOW. It's disgusting to know what happened in the past to the Original Americans.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009