Can I wash this dress if it says Dry Clean Only?

I have a dress that was in the back of my van. My daughter spilled a smoothie in the van, I thought I cleaned it all up. But when I went to take the dress out of the trunk space, I realized that some of the smoothie got on the dress. It is a good amount and it is all dried and sticky. Can I was it on gentle in cold water and hang it? Or would a dry cleaner even be able to get all that mess out of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I wash dry clean only stuff all the time. Cold water, gently cycle, just a little detergent. Hang or lay flat to dry, although I've put things in the dryer on the fluff cycle (20 minutes of cool air).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Washing clothing marked Dry Clean Only is never a good idea. You might try a damp cloth as long as the dress isn't silk or rayon. Otherwise I would get it to the cleaners as soon as possible.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I've hand washed rayon and silk things in the sink in cold water with really mild detergent and had good results without spending a bunch of money. It might be a good idea to go to the cleaners though if it's a really bad stain.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• If you try to hand wash, just remember to lay it flat to dry and DON'T put it in the dryer.
    raybird1031

• The dress is made out of polyester, acetate, and nylon. If that helps. I have never worn the dress and probably will never wear the dress, LOL!! But I may go sell it to a consignment shop or garage sale. Maybe.
    Anonymous

• It's weird that a dress made entirely out of plastics would be dry clean only! If you're not going to wear it, and only want to rescue it for reselling, try hand washing it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2009