How old were you when you got married?

I got married on my 18th birthday six and a haf years and four children later I'm still happily married:) Why are people so negative about young marriages?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• 21 unfortunately. Way too immature and selfish at that point.

Personally, I'm negative about it because I didn't think ahead about all the things I would want to do in my mid 20s. You're a bit more limited when you're married with children! Plus I didn't have a college education under my belt at that point, and we both worked crap jobs...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• 17 and I feel the same way prettyrayray does!
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• At that point in my life, everyone was having babies, and they were both a way to make sure your bf stayed with you and a cute little accessory. I really wish I wasn't thinking with my privates and with my brain instead. I love my kids, but crap they would have a much better life if we waited.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Because your young and inexperienced that is why.  Most, not all young marriages do not last. 

I married the first time at age 23. that lasted a year. Married again at age 28. We have been married 20 years.

Answer by louise2 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I got married at 19, just a week and a half shy of my 20th birthday. We have been married now for 7 1/2 years. We have had our ups and downs like most marriages, but I have never regretted marrying him. Our families that we would not make it past a year or two. I don't think age really has anything to do with marriage. I have seen people who got marred at 16 and 17 years old and are still married 29 years later. I have also seen people who waited until their 30's and it only lasted a year or two. We were a bit more mature than most 19 and 21 year olds. Before we got married we both agreed that divorce would not be an option, and that we would work things out, talk, and compromise.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I got married at 21, dh was 22. We met just before graduating high school, and we dated through college and had a year long engagement prior to the wedding. We just had our 9th anniversary in August. I think age has less to do with a marriage working out than the couple's maturity and open communication.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I got married right after turning 19. Had my first baby 1 yr later. We've been happily married 26 years (next month) Our oldest will be 25 in Jan. & our youngest just turned 3. (we also have an 18 & a 4 yr old)
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• We started dating at 13 and engaged at 15, married at 17 and, prego at 18. I have been with him my whole life. He is great and is perfect for me but he is religious and I have never partied, clubbed, or anything. I even gave up basketball for him in highschool. I just regret a lot!
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I had just turned 20, literally like one day shy of a month before our wedding. My dh was 20 1/2.

That was 17 1/2 yrs ago, and we're still happily married. That doesn't mean that there weren't rough patches sometimes, but I think that would hold true of any marriage that's lasted almost 2 decades. Also, we were both on our own and serving in the military when we got married (not that this makes you ready for marriage, but we were self sufficient adults, not living with our parents or needing them to pay our bills).

There are a lot of 20 yr olds that should NOT be getting married. But then, there are a lot of 30 yr olds I think the same about. It's a matter of maturity, and what you're willing to put into it, and what you will commit to. I think too many people can't see past the wedding to the marriage - and being able to do that is what will make it work or not.

It's not an age thing, it's a maturity thing.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Married at age of 20, DH was 23 and now 23 years later we are one of the happiest married couples that I know. 3 kids - 22,20,19
    Just because you get married young doesn't mean it won't last it is all what you make it and how you deal with life
    Anonymous