Potty training a 2 year old boy... HELP?!?!?!

mikeysmomma2007

Asked by mikeysmomma2007 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait until he is ready. Most boys don't train until three and a half according to my ped. Be patient, the harder you push the more he will resist.
    Anonymous

• Are you crazy! :) LOL! It can be done! If you haven't already started to talk to him about and he realizes WHEN he has to potty, add some cheerios to the bowl (hehe) and let him take aim! :) If that is a little advanced, what we did was get the pull ups that have the stars or cars on the front and that seemed to help him realize WHEN he had to potty. I will be potty training my youngest )of three) boy in the coming months, so I understand! Let me know if that helps!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

This is right and wrong...both my oldest boys were potty trained by 22 months and 26 months respectively. Boys are not harder to potty train! YES he will do it when he is ready, but prepare him, talk to him about it, show him how and just keep going (we called it) tutorial style (with out pushing) until he gets interested. I am sorry, but I don't buy wait until he is three because if he is interested he will want to do it, so peak his interest mama! Like I said, throw some cheerios in there and if he accidentally (which at this point, would be an accident) you praise the crap (not literally, but that's okay too!) out of it and maybe throw (AH!) a sucker or some other very special (never had before) treat in the mix!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I took my wee one outside butt naked and let him pee in the grass and on the trees. Then he'd come inside and pee in his baby potty. He was a little over 2 when there were no more diapers in the house.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I started training at 3.5 years with my second son after months of frustration starting early with my older son. it may just be too early.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Bribes are definitely awesome. My son didn't want to poop in the potty, but I finally got him to do it by offering him Hot Wheels and Halloween candy.
    xoxoKate

Answer by xoxoKate at 2:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2009