Would you donate 6 eggs for $30,000?

I found an ad for donating eggs. They are offering $18k-$30k for 6 eggs. Would it be worth it to you, and would you do it?

Also does anyone know the risks of this? I haven't called about it yet, but I don't want to do it if it means a risk for conception. We're trying to have baby #2 and I don't want this to interfere if there's a risk.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 10:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• after I have my second child.. HELL YEA.
    one: i'll get the money
    two: I'm giving a woman a chance to have a baby or babies, depending on if the fertilization medication went crazy
    but if it's for octomom.. lmfao you bet my ass i'm keeping my eggs where they are
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 3:24 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Haha, sounds tempting, but was it an ad banner on some website? I wouldn't trust that...especially if it was on myspace or facebook or some site like that.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I don't like the idea of invtro and selective reduction if too many embryos are implanted, so I would not donate or sell eggs for that purpose. The money was tempting and I looked into it in college, but I didn't like the idea that my eggs would be fertilized and implanted and then possibly aborted, so I cancelled the follow-up appointment after my first interview and application.
    Anonymous

• Idk I just asked my hubby and he said heck yeah! I wouldnt like the fact that I could possibly have 6 kids out there and not even know them. I also dont like that people pick and chose out of that 6 that are fertilized that are the best and just discard the other ones.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• No way.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't have a problem giving up 6 eggs that I'd lose anyway having my period LOL! I don't want to be ripped off by an internet add however. You probably have to complete other offers too, like those stupid laptop/ipod/vacation ads ;)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• No, I would never. I'd the idea that my child could have siblings out there that she didn't know. Worse yet, that I had children out there that I just considered eggs. EVEN WORSE YET, if one of my eggs was fertilized and became a boy . . . and my daughter met him later in life . . . possibly fell in love . . . yuck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Lol some of ya'll's answers made me laugh :)

No this is not an internet ad. It was published in a private magazine for a large city nearby.

I mean, I know what it's like to have a hard time conceiving (it took over a year with baby #1) and we've been trying for 9 months for #2. So I would absolutely LOVE to help someone with in vitro who has been trying for YEARS to have a baby, ya know?

And I read a research article about the effects on ME for donating eggs, and it seems to be a low, low risk factor, and may even help me conceive because of the fertility drugs they give you.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I've thought about it especially since my sister is TTC. Not that they would go to her, but I know how badly she wants a child. Its just that you won't ever meet these people and I am not sure why but somehow I feel rather possessive of my eggs. If I knew they were going to a woman or couple that would be great parents, it wouldn't be so bad. But you never know... Still if I needed the money for something important, say money because my child was ill or something, I would reconsider it.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Nope, just 6 potential kids I'd have out there... imagine if DD ended up with her half sibling!?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2009