my 21 month old's nasty habit!

we have a cat who mind you we are about to give to a new home...my son loves his cat to death! they do everything together including eating scraps off of the floor. I vacum and pick up all day everyday, but he still manages to eat off the floor WITH the cat LIKE the cat. Is this normal!?! How can I discourage this? I've trued ignoring it, throwing cat in another room when my son eats, telling him that that is a nono, or yucky...he thinks its so great eating like the cat!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give kitty scraps on the floor, give it to her on a plate and your child will give up the habit. Now they know it gets a rise out of you.
    Anonymous

• sorry forgot to mention i dont give kitty the scraps my son puts his food on the floor. he's 21 months so he wont sit in his chair plus we dont have a dinning table just his high chair....he throws his food on the floor or sets his plate on the floor then lays like the cat and eats like the cat. i never gave still dont give the kitty the food i always shoo him away.
    Anonymous

• I think it's normal for kids to act like animals (lol that sounds funny); seriously I know my son went through a stage where he would bark like a dog/meow like a cat/ act like a monkey; I also have a friend who's daughter has done this. I don't have pets so he never got the opportunity to go as far as yours but I'm sure he would have if he was given the chance. I don't know how you can break it but he will def grow out of it. Maybe start feeding the cat in a seperate room all alone out of the sight of your boy.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Personally I think it is just a phase. As long as you keep your floor clean I wouldnt worry about it. I would have him keep the food on his plate and not straight on the floor. If it is reallt bugging you then take his food away when he starts doing this, give him 5 mins and try again(this means he has to sit at the table) Put the cat in another room while he is eating also. It is not the cats fault!! Why get rid of it when he like sit so much that does not make sense!! Itis normal for kids to act like a animal.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My two year old likes to act like a cat going around meowing and rubbing his head against ppls legs and even sometimes coming up to me and licking my hand or knee. Its just a phase he finds the cat interesting and different and will out grow it.
    smerlan

Answer by smerlan at 4:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My daughter does the same thing here and there - eats cat food off the floor or out of dish - granted that cat food really cant hurt a person if eaten. I just tell her no and that that - I out the dishes up when cats are done and when they are hungry again I put them back down. - GOOD LUCK!
    silvershewolf

Answer by silvershewolf at 11:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My son feeds our dog and cats too. I never let my dog have table scraps and my son started the habit. He points to our dog and says "Da-Dog" and points to himself and says "Pupay". He loves the animals and I don't see a problem with him sharing as long as he doesn't try to get into the litter box. lol. He has tried to eat off the floor too and has even experimented with dog food. And how I see it, if I freak out and stop him from sharing/eating off the floor he will try to do it even more. Kids like to get arise out of us.
    Anonymous