Is this normal with a cold?

My 7 month old is getting over his first cold for the last 4ish nights we have used little noses saline drops and a bulb syringe to clean all the snot out of his nose before we put him to bed. Tonite he still sounded a little snotty so I put in the drops and sucked one side out fine then when I went to suck the other side out there was a little bit of blood in the tip of the syringe.... he never had a "nose bleed"... it apparently dried up right away because I nursed him right after and I never saw anymore blood. I didn't think I put the tip in his nose very far... maybe his nose was just irritated from his cold? Do you think I should worry about this or is it really no big deal?

cayceswife

Asked by cayceswife at 10:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, little kids often have a tiny bloody discharge with a cold. The capillaries are small, they rupture easily. My son is five and this happens occasionally, it's nothing, according to our ped.
    Anonymous

• You may be over using the boogey sucker, as i call it... I would clean him out before he sleeps, but unless he has snots coming out, I wouldn't use any suction, just put a drop or two in and leave it. Also, how are you using the sucker, you are not suppsed to slant it like the nose is slanted, you are supposed hold it straighand you shouldn't be sticking in inside his nostrils either... hth
    Anonymous

• Thank you! Call me crazy but how do you use the little sucker if you dont' put it in his nostrils? lol... where else do you put it?
    cayceswife

Answer by cayceswife at 10:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My kids doc has always advised against using the bulb sucker thing (unless the child is choking on something) - he says that it irritates their noses and actually causes swelling which, of course, defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. He recommends using the saline by itself and also using an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. This always seemed to help mine when they were that little. Hope he feels better soon.
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 10:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• My pediatrician says to never insert the sucker into the nostril. You set it at the opening of the nostril and suck from there. Their little noses are tiny and the capillaries are delicate. It's very easy to break the tissue and cause a little bleeding. The bigger problem with inserting the sucker in the nostril and with using it too often is that it irritates their delicate nasal tissue, which causes swelling, which then causes even more congestion.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Thanks to everyone who answered!!! So many people recommended the little noses saline/sucker I had no idea that it could be bad for his little nose! But that little bit of blood has scared me away from that little sucker!! Thank goodness his cold is almost gone!
    cayceswife

Answer by cayceswife at 11:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2009