Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Primary Custodial Parent

Can a Primary Custodial Parent disconnect their phone on purpose to alienate the child from the Non-Custodial Parent? When the Primary Custodial Parent remarries can they assign the new husband or wife to all of their duties and dedicate all of their time to work and blaming work for not being around the child? Im in SA Texas NE and I need serious advice? If my question doesn't make sense or you need more info. please ask. I truly appreciate any help. Also do you know of any good pro bono attorneys in the area?

Answer Question

Asked by Lexxy633 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • The child is suppose to be given the opportunity to phone the other parent (in Ohio) as for the other thing I don't think there is much you can do, for example, if I was the non custodial parent and got wkend visitation I could do whatever I wanted with my child,,,hand him/her off the grandparents, friends, aunt/uncle,,,as long as the child is safe there wouldn't be anything custodial parent could do. It goes both ways. I would get a phone book out and try to find a lawyer, some could answer these questions for you over the phone (if you call the right one). Just call a bunch and tell them everything and see what they say. The worst they can say is you have to come in and pay a consultation visit fee.

    Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

  • How the heck long has this situation been this way, like you described. ???? If things aren't planned out in a divorce paper aforetime than not a whole bunch can be done. Sorry if this isn't what answer you wanted. Really, so much has to be considered in child raising, why is it that you want to have their phone #. Can't you just give them a call through some number that is mandated by court and have them charged with a fine or worse if they don't use it to keep appointments and visitation etc. holidays, and so forth. Yes if nobody is available due to work this is something that can be disallowed by court too, as long as they are paying support than they can see the child, even if they don't pay support in some states you can set up visitation with supervision and preset times/ days.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

  • If there is a court order then NO, a primary can not disconnect a phone and alienate. That would be in contempt of court and you can file a report and then you will have to go back to the judge. Sounds like you need a court date to get everything laid out. And anon is wrong, a non-custodial parent can still have visitation without paying support. They are treated like two different beasts anymore.

    Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

  • The court cannot assign any duties to anyone other than the bio parents. Unless the noncustodial parent signs away all parental rights. Personally, I would never stand between the relationship of my children and their father unless he was on drugs or doing other illegal activities that present danger to my kids. I agree with MamaRoberts. In Ohio it does not matter if he is behind or not paying support. If there is a court order for visitation, they get their children on their time.

    Answer by salexander at 11:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.