Should I start potty training?

My daughter is 16mo and I think she is wanting to start potty training, but I don't know if I am reading her cues correctly? The other day she started whining and grabbing herself like you see older kids do when they have to pee. She always comes in the bathroom with me when I am peeing so she is well aware of what happens on a toilet. I asked her if she needed to tinkle she said yes, I asked if she wanted to sit on the toilet she said yes. I took her in, had her sit on the toilet for about 2 min and nothing and she wanted to get off. I took her off and she peed on the floor. LOL no big deal, I cleaned it up, gave her encouragement for letting me know she had to go and that we would work on peeing in the toilet next time. This has happened 2 other times. She has also started taking her diaper off when it is wet, or took it off and peed on the floor. I think she is ready, but don't want to start too early if she isn't. Help!:-)

mammacita9

Asked by mammacita9 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow, that's awesome! It sounds like she is definitely ready to start potty training. I wish my son was as enthusiastic as your daughter; he's two and a half, and he is still completely fine with wearing a diaper. I've been working really hard at getting him to go in the potty, but he never tells me when he has to go. I just have to stick him on the potty every hour or two.
    xoxoKate

Answer by xoxoKate at 2:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If she's able to tell you then heck yeah, start taking her!! Even if she pees on the floor a million times, do you have a kids potty chair? She may go better on that then the big potty! But, Yeah for Charlie, it's a good sign she'll potty train early!
    Toni_H

Answer by Toni_H at 12:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009