Couple breastfeeding questions..

I've been breastfeeding for 6 weeks and have a couple questions.
1.) Lately my DD has been doing this thing where she basically fights my breast. She will suck the nipple and start pulling it, fusses, flies her arms and head around. I can't get the nipple out of her mouth while she does it so my nipples are a mess right now. Their bruised, cracked, bleeding, they burn, the whole 9 yards. I've been icing them, lanolin, expressing some milk and letting it air dry and nothing is making them better and she keeps doing it. How can I make them feel better and why is she doing this??

2.) Randomly I get this throbbing pain in both breasts, same place at the same time. Its on the sides up near my armpit. It hurts sometimes while she feeds also. Anyone know what that could be?

We've both been checked and no thrush. I'm having doubts about EBF but I really don't want to switch to formula so any help is appreciated.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honey, dont give up! The first six weeks/ two months are the hardest then ebf becomes a breeze! I was dealing with similiar issues as you and my baby ended up having reflux, which is essentially bad heartburn and indegestion, which caused her to pull of my boob over and over. Its very frustrating but i would talk to the doc about it. I really caked lanolin on and it would heal after a day or two. Also, try putting your finger in the crease of her lips to release your nipple so she doesnt continue to tug on it and cause worse pain. About the pain by your armpit, i got that as well and it went away on its own. Im not too sure what the cause was but im sure its nothing serious because i had the same feeling for the first 6 weeks. I hope things improve! Great job sticking with it! Its worth it!!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 11:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• First thing first, I would taco wrap her up (swaddle her) so that she can't thrash around your breast. That does hurt and my son when he was much younger did the same thing! You may want to hand express a little first to get the flow to slow down, you may be choking her with BM and that is why she is pulling away.

As for the pain, you might have a blocked milk duct. I believe that you can use hand express and a hot shower. Otherwise I would get ahold of Gdiamante on here and join the Breastfeeding group. They are AWESOME!! Lots of really good help! Gdiamante has always been VERY helpful to me (I just weaned my baby boy at 15 months...tear!) GL mama and hang in there!!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I was actually thinking she has reflux, I have it. I'll call her pedi tomorrow. Thanks so much!=]
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• When I hear thrashing around, I think overactive letdown. It could be that she's getting more milk than she wants or expects and is fighting against the flow.
    The pain could be subclinical mastitis (an infection but not "big enough" to produce the usual signs of mastitis) which you should still be treated for. It's relatively rare to have mastitis in both breasts at the same time though. The infection can cause damage to your breast tissue so get your OB or PCP to check it out. Other thing that comes to mind is let down. With my son, I didn't feel my let downs at all until he was six or seven weeks old and when I did start to feel them, they **hurt**. Does that pain ever start just before your daughter starts fighting your nipple? If so, there's a good chance, it's reacting to letdown

When she fights, unlatch her. When she settles down, let her latch on again. All that fighting and pulling can cause permanent damage.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• eema.gray hit it right on the head. Thrashing like that is often fighting against letdown. Overactive letdown is often mistaken for reflux. The pain you're feelingis another indicator.

Look up "overactive letdown" on kellymom.com...the site has images and techniques for handling it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• call her peditrician again ,a nd tell him/her da thi situation continues and da u need er to be checked , who knows , and maybe this time , they may be able to find out whats causing this reaction of hers .for the pain, you might have a blocked milk duct .
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Sometimes during letdown a baby will push away from the best because it's too much milk at once but will nurse after a few minutes when letdown isn't so strong.

You should probably check her latch your nipples shouldn't still be sore at 6 weeks. I don't care what the experts say, if you have a strong sucker it can make your nipples sore those first few weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Nov. 23, 2009