I cannot BELIEVE this situation.... :(

Well, to make a very long story short...

I live with a family member along with my three children and that person's son. We seemed to be having a pretty good living arrangement until the son came home with a dog today. First of all, I have a sickly son (18 months old) , who doctors are not sure yet if he is allergic to any kind of pets. (he's getting tested in Jan) Second, I have three little kids (ages 9, 7, and 18 months) and the dog of choice is a pitt bull. I am TOTALLY against having a pet, let alone the type of pet they have bought to live with us! We had discussed it a while ago, but I was told that the dog wouldn't be coming until Feburary, which would give me plenty of time to make other living arrangements for me and my children. My point: the dog came today and I am LIVID!!!!!!!! Do you think I am overreacting? What should I do? Its now 11:30 at night and I am out of options...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes, it's not YOUR home and not your place to be pissed about them deciding to get a pet. Way to look the gift horse in the mouth, if you say anything you'll just sound ungrateful for the fact that THEY are allowing YOU to stay in THEIR HOME. I hope you at least pay them rent!

For the record pit bulls make GREAT dogs for children, always have, they used to be "the all American family dog" like labs are today. The Little Rascals dog was a pit bull. I'd definitely get over the breed thing, bad people make dogs bad, pit bulls are NOT born "mean".
    Anonymous

• i would be mad. I would let them know how mad you are and if they are'nt able to get rid of the animal then i would save your money for the month and not pay your rent when its due and leave. Tell them to start looking for a new room mate unless you are afraid they would tell you to leave right away...i know how ugly family can be
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• keep the dog outside. let your family member know that its not ok to have the dog around your children. espeicially since you dont know if they are allergic. i would be pretty mad too.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I don't really think you have the right to be mad. They are letting you stay in their home. You should probably find a place of your own.
    Anonymous

• Staying in their home is a MUTUAL agreement. I pay rent, electric and I buy ALL of the food for the house. I pay to be where I am, as it was agreed that it would benefit ALL of us...and you're right....I do need my own place, especially now. But shouldn't I have at least gotten a warning?!?!?!
    Anonymous

• i'd be pissed off too , cuz even though i "their house" it doesnt mean taht you dont count , besides yu have a sick son , maybe allegric one and they should be aware of da ! keep it in mind for a sec , which tehy of course arent doing !

try to find a place for u n ur children , they're not being fair to you guys and you should tell them how you feel , they also kno of your feelings (since you said you guys had discuss the pet topic before) but they're chosing to ignore it !

get outta there , u n ur kids will be safer

a bulldog ?! HOLLY JESUS !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• Do they own this house? Did you move in with them? Do you pay rent? If you pay rent then believe that you have every right to be upset. If you do not pay rent or a mortgage, then no, I don't feel like you have any right to be upset.

Pit bulls are very good family pets. We have a 1/2 boxer 1/2 pit and I wouldn't trade him for anything. He is so sweet and lovable, of course he is very well socialized.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• AND YES , THEY COULD HAVE AT LEAST ADVICE YOU OF THEIR DECISION !

they're taking advantage , but let me tell you this , relatives are lovely ........ THAT IS IF , THEY DONT LIVE UNDER THE SAME ROOF AS YOU !

TAHTS Y IM SOOO HAPPY DA I MOVED INTO MY OWN PLACE , I ,LOVE MY FAMILY BUT EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT WAY OF SEEING THINGS AND TAHT WAY MAY NOT BE THE SAME WAY AS THE OTHERS , THATS WHEN THE DIFFERENCES COME !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• okay so maybe you should have got a warning but it sounds like the son didn't give anyone a warning, he just went a got a dog. Is it a puppy? I don't think I would worry so much about the dog hurting the kids, especially if its a puppy. Maybe you could ask that they keep the dog outside, like the op suggested or away from your son as much as possible. There really seems to be nothing else you can do, except look for another place to live.
    tree1997

Answer by tree1997 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I don't think I would worry so much about the dog hurting the kids, especially if its a puppy

Puppys are actually much more likely to hurt a child than an older dog. Puppies don't understand the rules and limits. Puppies are much more clumsy and much more rough when they play. So you are wrong there.

Op, Yes you should be upset. You are paying rent. This is your home too. You may not own it, but while you are renting you do have a say in what goes on in the house. It would be different if you were not paying and just mooching. Do NOT leave your kids alone with a dog you do not trust. Several kids (including a 2week old baby) have been brutally killed by dogs in our area. If the person you are living with can't compromise with the dog you need to move out ASAP. That was very rude, and inconsiderate of this person to not let you have any say when the dog moved in, especially after you came to an agreement of Feb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2009