Is Santa real?

Just curious if you choose to lie to children or be honest with them? My SO and I have different views on this subject, our son is 16 months old. I have told him in no uncertain terms that I will NEVER lie to my child/ren. This includes the Santa Claus debate. He wants our son to believe in Santa until he reaches a certain age. If he wants to lie to our son, that is fine with me. I REFUSE to ever lie to him or anyone else for that matter. I WILL make it clear to him as he is growing up that Santa Claus is not a real person! I want my son to know that he can ALWAYS trust in me to tell him the truth about any and everything!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2009 in Holidays

• we let our kids believe in santa...I don't really see it as a lie. I mean if you do that-then there will be no tooth fairy, easter bunny...and what fun is that? I think if you so it right it can be fun for everyone-and your kids won't hate you for lying. My daughter comes to me with pretty much everything and trusts me :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• When we used to ask our mom if he was real she would always say "He's real if you believe he is".
    Anonymous

• * forgot to add that when they got older and asked about Santa I said of course he's real he lives in all of us-whenevr you do something nice or help someone...and they still get a santa gift every year!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• I think your going a little overboard. I think santa is real, like above post said he lives in all of us. How can you take that away from your child? No christmas? No easter bunny? No toothfairy?
    Anonymous

• I can completely see your point in wanting to EARN your child's trust. However, Santa won't shatter his trust in you. Most people who grew up believing in Santa didn't lose their faith in their parents because their parents told them some fairy tale. The ones who have lost that trust is because of different events or circumstances in which their parent failed them somehow. I think your SO should respect your choice but I feel like you should respect his as well.
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 11:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• He IS real!! !!!!!!!!You have been naughty haven't you? That is why he is not coming to your house!!!! LMAO..

To answer your Q....I don't see the harm in him believing in the jolly ol fella!
    Anonymous

• at this point, i'd be more worried about uniting with your dh on on how to raise your child, than whether or not to 'believe' in santa. you're gonna have to come to a compromise, unless you like arguing with your dh about useless crap.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2009

• You're a fun sucker! I mean come on its Santa. Its not like you're lying to him about something major like the Holocaust. No matter how hard you try at some point even if not intended you will tell him a non truth. Everyone does. Its called being human. You might tell him the wrong answer on a homework question does that mean he'll be scared for life and never trust you again? Nope. Don't take away joy from your child and husband because you want to prove a point. I'm pretty sure your kid will be more mad at you for not lettiing him be a kid than for telling him Santa is real.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• scared=scarred
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Santa Claus is a real person. http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38
    St Nicholas=Santa Claus who did exist. Honoring a Saint who is dead is not a horrible thing like you are implying. Just because someone is dead does not mean they don't exist. My grandmother is dead but she will exist on forever in our hearts just as St. Nicholas has in the children of the worlds hearts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Nov. 23, 2009