Turkey brining?

My DH insists we must brine our turkey. What kind of bags do you brine them in? My turkey is 18 lbs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I've never done it before but was reading about it. What I found online says to put it in a plastic bucket or a non corrosive pan. It doesn't say to put it in a bag. Google it and see if you can find instructions for using a bag

Answer by admckenzie at 12:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I am going to be brining mine this year.... i just need to find a bucket big enough to fit the turkey in and submerge it lol

i've only heard of using a bucket or pan
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I put mine in a big turkey bag (the kind that you cook turkeys in) add the brine, set it in a pan and let it marinade in the fridge overnight.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• you can brine in a large clean garbage bag or use a clean cooler. we use a cooler and it works well and can be moved out of the way while brining. instead of using water in the recipe use ice on a thawed turkey and it will stay cold.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I use a cooler to brine my turkey and it works well. You could also get a new 5 gallon bucket from somewhere like Home Depot or Lowe's or you could use a heavy duty garbage bag. As long as it will hold liquid and keep the turkey cold, I don't think it really matters what you use.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We put it in a large pot last year, personally I don't think it made a difference. My sil insisted we had to do it. I wouldn't waste my time.
    Anonymous