Need advice on how to deal with inlaws during the holidays don't know if I can make it through this year

I am in desperate need of advice in how to deal with my inlaws this thanksgiving. This year more than any other they have really pissed me off to the point where I do not want to see them at all. They dont see my dd all year and when this time comes around its the only time they see her and my mil makes stupid remarks on how she doesn't see her and I try to turn a deaf ear to it for my dh sake but I dont think I can do it this year. I'm stressed out with school and my parents are going through a divorce and it has been real hard to be able to focus and I am really snappy with everyone but they just make my skin crawl. Not to mention it is going to be my bday on thanksgiving and I just feel like staying home with MY family and i don't feel like I have to deal with them. I know it sounds selfish but I feel like they dont make an effort all year so why should we and then sit there and let them makes us feel guilty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• So stay home just with your immediate family. You're allowed to do that. Tell husband you're looking forward to seeing his family either the next day or next Saturday. But it's been a busy busy year and you need to catch your breath. That what I finally did. It feels good.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We had a guest on my newscast this morning talking about how to handle family during the holidays!

Here's a link to the interview...this might help:

http://www.kusi.com/news/goodmorning/70952307.html

Good luck!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I have had to tell my DH that sometimes I just can not deal with his family. He tells them I am tired....which I was...and we see them the following weekend for leftovers. We take our leftovers and they pull out there's. It has worked out as a win, win situation for us. Good luck
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i had to tell my husband that i did not have the patience for his mother this year, just be honest, offer to be the one to tell his family "not this year" or that you would prefer another time.
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 4:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• that's a good interview, my approach is to just ignore them.
    they say what they want, I go about my business. they do what they want, I go about my business. After a couple hours of their game not being any fun any more for them your inlaws will stop playing. good luck.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2009