Can i still breastfeed even if i dont eat healthy, or eat at all. I'm not starving myself i just dont have an appitite

nikki_radio_dj

Asked by nikki_radio_dj at 12:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. But you really need to see a dr about that, or force yourself to eat. YOU Will suffer, not your baby.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• honesty from what ive read what you eat doesnt mean that your baby wont get what they need but it does mean that your body wont get what it needs. I would say when it comes to not having an appetite try to take vitamins and when you do eat, eat things rich in calcium, fiber and other vitamins so what your body does get will be a help. ALso if you dont eat your milk might not come in like it should be.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yes, you can. You need to eat right for YOU.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yes but the more healthy stuff you eat the better your breast milk and the healthier you are... just take prenatals if you have some left and even if your not hungry try to eat something
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:40 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• One of my nurses after my daughter was born was a lactation consultant and she yelled at me for feeding my daughter instead of eating my dinner, she said once the baby is born your body takes care of you and if you aren't getting proper nutrition then your baby won't be
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 7:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yes, and breastfeeding should stimulate your appetite. Keep in mind that any nutrients that you take in will go to the baby first, and you may feel ill if you don't eat better.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Actually DianeMary the lactation consultant is unfortunately a bit off. Your baby will always be getting the proper nutrition because if you do not ingest the correct nutrition the only one that is going to lose in the deal is you. The breastmilk will pull from your reserves and leave you insufficient but not your child. You must eat to keep up your health and to replenish what is taken out of you.

OP~ Try and keep little snacks around so when you breastfeed you can take that time to munch on something whether or not you are hungry.  When you sit to breastfeed make it a habit to grab a glass of water and a healthy snack like an apple or carrots, etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Well, right after I had my daughter, I had no appetite. I was always so hungry when pregnant and all of a sudden it just disappeared. I bf'ed for 7 mos. and it never seemed to interfere, although I lost a lot of weight pretty fast. I tried to eat, but I was nowhere near as hungry as I was while pregnant. A midwife told me that part of the fat we put on during pregnancy is there to use while we are bf'ing. I def. never ate the extra 500 calories everyone talks about and my daughter had more than enough to eat.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• just wanted to comment on this, because yes your baby does get all the best of the nutrition in your body BUT if you dont eat ever, or eat poorly, you sometimes dont produce enough milk to feed the baby. at a good 20 pounds overweight, i still need to eat extra sometimes to get my milk to come in better...sorry honey, you still gotta eat!

"Actually DianeMary the lactation consultant is unfortunately a bit off. Your baby will always be getting the proper nutrition because if you do not ingest the correct nutrition the only one that is going to lose in the deal is you. The breastmilk will pull from your reserves and leave you insufficient but not your child. You must eat to keep up your health and to replenish what is taken out of you."
    acounard

Answer by acounard at 9:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2009