in a situation ive never been in....

my hubby is getting laid off in late jan, im pregnant and due march 4th, our lease here lets break the lease whenever without any penalties....we are BARELY making it with his job i mean seriously we have like dollars left at the end of the month for extras like toilet paper etc. we are already recieving food stamps and stupid medi cal (california welfare) wont get us approved they're beating around the bush!

my hubby's parents offered to pay a couple bills but i still cant stand the fact that would mean my parents are paying our bills and we would remain on welfare for a long time. i do not want that. my sister has offered us to stay at her home but she is already hosting my mother, mother's hubby, her hubby, her hubby friend, and two kids and they are all frequently fighting very dramatic so i dont want my kids in that situation.

what do i do.......?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you have a job? Can you look for a job? I know it's not ideal but it'll help pay the bills or at least thru the holidays while retailers are looking for extra hands.? Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:11 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Low income housing is a life saver. Cut down on the little things. No more soda, just water, maybe even tap water. You dont need that extra car or bag of chips. if you buy diapers then go for the cheep-y stuff or even cloth. Go with generic brands instead of name brands. People in china live off rice and beans even. Do all errands in one day and in order of distance from the house; or maybe take the bus. If you cut the little stuff it helps A LOT.

No one is going to hire you pregnant, not in this economy. But you can do your part to cut spending.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:26 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• im having a "high risk" pregnancy and the doctor advises against a lot of stressful situations like working....but I am a professional photographer. Im just starting out so i dont work that often but i am bringing in cash. still not enough even with hubby's job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Your husband should be looking for a job. There are lots of great tips and support in the job hunting moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Hopefully, you are doing everything that you can to save money. Collect cloth diapers on freecycle, use cloth napkins and towels instead of paper, cut way back on meat and dairy, eat meals based on dried beans and lentils, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Even if you looked for a job....tough being pregnant, no matter how illegal they say it is to discriminate...I know I interviewed while pregnant. Are you willing to work hard? A great thing to do while pregnant is start your own business...but it is netWORK marketing. Many have low cost start-ups. Just make sure the market is open to whatever products you choose. Our products are in high demand and sales are skyrocketing. Where in CA are you? I can hook you up with someone from my team that is in CA. PM me. Good luck and talk to you soon
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 8:08 AM on Nov. 24, 2009