what to do when you child wakes up crying and two hours later is still crying and wont go back to sleep

My son woke up crying that bugs and bats where crawling on him and now two hours later he is still crying even though we have shown him there are none.

smerlan

Asked by smerlan at 4:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• do not give him any mashrooms or you do not eat any if you breastfeed still :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Sounds like he was royally freaked out. DD went through a time when she was scared of a bug being in her room when she was sleeping, so we deemed one of her stuffed animals "bug catcher." We explained that he watches over her at night and if he sees a bug, he bites them and chases them out of her room. She slept with "bug catcher" for a couple of weeks and then was fine.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't let a child cry for two hours. A scared baby needs comfort.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Is this on going? I'd bring mine to my room for the night to try to calm her if she didn't calm after about 20 minutes. I'd probably call the pedi in the am as crying that long is not normal. If it's ongoing, it could be signs of a phobia your child has. Any odd behaviors during the day?

Maybe google toddlers and bad dreams tos ee what tips you can find, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• rkoloms: not ALL kids easily calm - clearly she was trying to calm him and comfort him and show him bugs and bats were not crawling on him.. sounds like a very bad nightmare he had. Could distraction work? maybe get him a spray bottle for the next night filled with water? but as for calming them down when they are that upset, I would take him totally out of the room, maybe give him a snack or play with him a little to get his mind off it ??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We did remove him from his room and try to distract him. My husband and I are not fans of letting our child sleep in our bed as we do not want it to be a habit. Unitl the night before last he had never had this problem. We did finally fold and brought him into our bed for a few hours and than last night with clean sheets and blankets and getting the bug buster vaccum out and sucking up any imaginery bugs he saw he finally crawled into bed and slepted asnormal. My neice did admitt that she told him bats ate bugs and that bugs and bats where both scary a few days ago. Ughh kids lol :)
    smerlan

Answer by smerlan at 12:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2009