ok ladies help me out with this!

So i have been thinking a lot latley about getting involved in my community. I know that i would really like to do something with the gay rights movement but, I stay at home with my 3 year old daughter while my husband works and i don't have a car so anyone have any ideas of some way i can help? I have filled out voulteener forms on the HRCs website but have not heard back....I am 24 years old with a high school diploma (no college)
Thanks for looking!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• btw i live in portland oregon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• No idea but there are other ways to support your community that I believe would do it much better..like joining your vol fire dept..starting a food can drive..classes on how to budget money avoiding living beyond ones means..Jazercise classes...gardening...coats/jackets/blankets for those in need...the list goes on and on
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:22 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Why not contact Gay Rights groups in your community and ask them?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If you cant get out i know some organazations need people to make phone calls or stuff envelopes things like that. If you havent heard back try other places to get involved with, dont linit yourself to just one place. or try starting your own group. try getting your neighbors involved then you can do what you can with what you have. GOOD LUCK!!
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 10:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Wow, you all aren't suggesting..volunteering? Didn't your Messiah Beck scoff at that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Anon, I haven't the faintest idea what Beck said, since I've never watched him. Perhaps you can tell me what he said, as your apparently DO watch him. As for volunteering, I do plenty of it on a weekly basis, as does TNmom.

If you want to insult people, at least get your facts straight. Get some ovaries, too, and stop posting anon.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• lol ty mancos..anon I am a conservative and I havee been a volunteer for YEARS..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

____

Actually Beck has nothing against volunteering. The problem is being told that you HAVE TO. The problem is a union (SEIU) threatening a BOY SCOUT for volunteering. Maybe if you actually watched once in a while, and learned to tell when someone is being sarcastic and/or facetious, you would know what he really thinks. btw, there was only one messiah, about 2000 yrs ago.

to the OP -- if you really want to do something worthwhile, contact the United Way, the YMCA, local community centers, etc. If you must limit yourself to the gay rights agenda, contact them directly and ask what you can do for them.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Hi :) I think HRC is the group that does bulk of the work with regards to gay rights. I would try emailing them or calling them again. Sometimes they only need volunteers during pivotal moments for gay rights, so if you sent in that form recently they may not have needed the help in that moment. I looked and I don't see any other organizations active in Oregon.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• telling that 29 doesn't find civil rights a worthwhile cause. I guess some people dont' think the OP should decide for herself how she wants to spend her volunteer efforts.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2009