Feel like the worse mom son had stables?

Hi everybody,
My 6 in a half year old just got two staples in his head he was jumping on my bed when he was supposed to be watching a DVD. Well fell back ad hit the foot board. Thank god it's healing well any can't see the scar . Then just 6 months ago he was running to answer the door his babysitter was knocking and fell hit the coffee table and had to get 3 stitches. He has never since he was a baby got hurt like this . He's just so daring now and will not slow down. I'm just on a verge of an anxiety attack. It's like I'm scared to cook when he's in his room. I also don't want to overprotect but, I just don't want him doing something crazy. Any advice or your stories would help. Thank so much guys !!! I really needed to vent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• to anon:44 my kids and grandkids were and are disciplined. Jumping on beds has never been allowed...that doesn't mean they won't try if they can get away with it. Kids are kids. Most of my oldests injuries were ralted to falls and or sports. Like slipping on black ice and splitting his chin, dropping something and coming up under the hand rail on the stairs and cutting his head open. His 2 yr old brother threw a matchbox car and tagged him across the nose..4 stitches. It happens even WITH supervised and disciplined kids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• When my dh was a little guy, his family tells me, that he got stitches on a regular basis around that age. He was very rambunctious and all BOY...lol. He shows me now his small scars and laughs...he remembers most of them....seriously its like over 10 or 12 different areas he has "memories" lol.

Once he remembers climbing on top of their two story house so that he could jump into a HUGE snowbank. His dad caught him before he got the chance to do it.

I think some kids, boys especially, are rowdy like that. Just talk to him, warn him of the dangers and hope for the best. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I think it's just a boy thing.. I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet :P my SO was the same (you should see the scars all over his body lol) and he's just fine :P
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 7:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I am surprised my DS hasn't had stitches or staples or a cast on for that matter. He is all boy and doesn't think sometimes before doing something. I was bad like that as a kid. I had over 20 stitches in my leg for jumping in a fish tank at 5, my knees are scared up from dirt bikes etc. I had stitches under my chin and a broken hand. Yeah I was rough too, but I survived, I have my battle scars too and almost gave my step mom several anxiety attacks. He will be fine and you will survive too. Just keep reminding him of the dangers. One day they will stick.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:25 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I wouldnt feel bad about the staples... its part of life and he IS a boy!! But I would teach him about how to act in the house. #1 had he not been jumping on the bed then he wouldnt have hit his head and #2 had he not been running to the door, he wouldnt have fallen. It sounds like he needs some discipline and he will be fine:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Don't feel bad. My oldest son had stitches 10 times before he was 12. On the pther hand my youngest son had no stitches but broke so many bones I can't even remember them all. My kids were well supervised. Wore protective clothing..the whole bit. Active kids have accidents. Heck my granddaughter had stitches twice beofre 3 yrs. My grandson broke his wrist when he was 4. Jumping on his sisters bed and fell llanding all his weight on his hand. It happens. Don't beat yourself up.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Sounds like my younger brother- he has stuck lego pieces in his ears, shot himself with nails out of slingshots, blown up cap gun powder in his face, the list goes on. My mom always says she was happy to get him to 18 without any major injuries. It's normal. Just teach him how to be safe inside the house and don't let him have any thing that can explode;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• some boys are that way, my lil bro for example, had stiches 3 times in a year and my parents had to talk to someone from csb. we werent abused in any way and the csb person could tell. i am amazed my son hasnt broken anything or had stiches yet, it could have happened about a million times, dont feel like a bad mom, it isnt your fault. talk to him about how he worries you. tell him he needs to prove to you that he can be responsible, when you cook, make him stay where you can see him, then let him earn the privledge of being alone... that is about all you can do. hang in there and dont get down on yourself.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My 2nd son had stitches 3 times when he was young (and its NOT because he wasnt disciplined! what a crock anon!). First time he was nearly 2 & my other son scared him playing with him so he was running to me & fell & hit his head on the end table. Second time, he was at grandma's on Halloween & was bending down to get something out of his candy pail & smacked his head on the edge of the coffee table. He was 4. Third time he was in 4 th grade & was on the playground & slipped on some equipment & hit his head on the edge of it. (gee so much for my undisciplineed child there anon!) Don't feel bad. Things happen.
    Anonymous

• Don't be too hard on yourself momma! Kids will be kids. It was me giving my mom the grey hairs as a child b/c I was always needing stitches or a cast or something, not my big bro, and it was because I was always in a hurry, not to mention I was a huge klutz (still am..lol). He will heal and you'll have some nice stories to tell about him when he grows up (maybe keep 'em for ammo to embarass him with his girlfriends? LOL).
    Anonymous