Going for my 4 week check up, looking for birth control options... nuva ring gave me my son(lol) and i dont do well on remembering the pill every day. from experience what are the best options?

..this is my first child i know i may want another in about 3-4 years

mom2b111009

Asked by mom2b111009 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well if you're not planning on having another child soon. maybe go on mirena (coil) it's effective for 5 years but can be removed b4 then if you would chose to do so :)
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 8:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• or in addition for what Domsmom said, there is Paragard which is a copper, non-hormonal IUD. Can also be removed, the only related side-effect is some heavier bleeding with your periods at first.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i did the depo shot on the upper butt cheek ( less soreness) and i loved it i never worried about being pregnant didnt have to remember to take a pill. every 3 months my doc called to remind me i needed to get the shot. i didnt have any side affects and i also never recived a period ( asked doc it was ok some women get a monthly period some dont ) i was on it for 3 yrs and never any trouble..then my dh got the big V ( snip snip ) and i got off the shot..no need to be on it anymore. it takes about a 6 months to a year to have it compleatly out of system ( as far as i know )
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:53 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i thought about getting the mini pill because i was nervous about anything interfering with breastfeeding but then i just decided to do natural family planning because i hate the hormones. it's obviously less effective but if you wouln't be horrified to get pregnant again, it's a good option. and if you have regular cycles it really can be pretty effective. my guess is since you just had a child though, that you don't have regular cycles. ;) gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Do low estrogen Depo. Regular Depo shot can make you infertile if you take it for more then two years. Lew estro usually takes about 5 years. You only have to go in once every 3 months, your doc reminds you, and it's alot safer then IUDs.
    jrsjrb

Answer by jrsjrb at 11:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2009