What branch of the military is better (benefits wise)?

DH is thinking about possibly going into the military to help pay for med school. We just dont know what the differances are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• they all have the same benefits as far as medical, dental, etc....Army, Navy and Marines are gone ALOT. Air Force is more family friendly. Army and Marines, your hub will be sent to Iraq or Afganistan. And Navy, your hub will be on a ship for months at a time. With Air Force you have a better chance of staying together as a family
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• That's not the best reason to want to be in the military...He's going to be part of the war and you never know what can happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Honestly, they all have their pros and cons. I have family and friends in all branches. As far as medical, dental, pay, etc, it's all the same.

As far as deployments and stuff goes, there's an expression in the Navy that says "choose your rate (job), choose your fate..." Some deploy more than others, and that goes for ALL branches (btw, I live on an Air Force base right now, and one of my best friends is married to an Air Force guy - stationed in a different part of the world, and he deploys a lot, too...)

It just depends on what you're looking for. If you send me a pm, I can go into a little bit more about each one and what sort of thing you can expect. But, honestly, I would just go in and see what each recruiter tells you for each branch, and what they're willing to put in writing, because if it's not in writing, it doesn't count.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I have always heard the Air Force is the best.. nicer cleaner bases, easier basic training, and better quality of life. I think it's just as good of a reason as any to join the military. THey need every person they can get and you do get a whole lot out of it, both the family and the soldier. Good luck!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Your health benefits will be the same in any branch....if its standard of living you are wondering about, Air Force tends to have better bases and housing than the others, we are Army and well, my hubby has been in the service for 13 years and will be doing over 20 yrs total before retirement and always says that if he had it to do over again, he would have joined the Air Force.

On another note, PLEASE dont make this choice lightly. The military lifestyle is very hard on families, our troops are still being deployed to war zones and do lots of training before hand and have to be away from their families a LOT and for long periods of time...they miss holidays, birthdays, births of babies, funnerals and the list goes on. Just make sure that you are BOTH on board with the choice to go into the service, consider ALL your options!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:14 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Something you guys might want to consider is having the Army or whatever branch pay for your medical schooling, you would join as an officer and have school paid for, I just believe you have to commit to doing a certain number of years of service per year of school....im sorry I dont have many specifics. My husband is currently in nursing school, the Army is paying for it completely but he has to do a certain number of years in the service after school to sort of pay them back which is fine with us as he is going to be in for a long time anyways.
    He was already in the service and went through a special program to go to school though, not sure how it works when you currently are not in the service, maybe joining an ROTC, I dunno.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• As a former army soldier I have to agree airforce has better housing and such most of the time. It will all depend on where you get sent. As far as other PP was completely right about pick your job picks your fate. If he is doing it to pay for med school does he already have his undergrad? He May be able to do an enlist where he is in the service but does not really do anything until after medical school. They would help pay for it, but he would owe them a few years. Or he could join after med school and get some loans forgiven. It would be really hard to go back to school especially med school after taking long break.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Honestly, I think going into any branch of the military to help pay for med school is the wrong route. If your DH is not willing to be immediately deployed to a war zone to assist with injured soldiers, then I would throw that option out. Right now the military is in desperate need of medical personnel to take care of our soldiers. The military does not look at the fact that your DH wants to pay for med school, they see it as a soldier who wants to be dedicated to protecting his country, freedom and take care and operate on injured soldiers. My brother joined the military in the Navy and later on still worked in the Navy but trained Marines in reconnaissance missions. He took medical courses while in the Navy and when he was deployed he carried out recon missions as well as performed emerg. surgery in the battle zone. He became a great DR, as his nickname was "Doc". He just retired and now works in a local ER as a DR.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• BTW, my brother retired in 15 years because of his rank with the Navy and he still had to take additional courses to work as a DR in the ER. Now the Navy did pay for his additional schooling, but he had to give them 15 years for that 30k of additional schooling. The Navy provided all his medical courses while he was still in the Navy, but that certificate to operate was not transferable.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Getting into a medical school paid for by the military is extremely hard these days..Just to let you know. My BIL has been trying for several years. It's extremely competitive and it is not so easy as running to the local ROTC office, signing up, and viola all expenses paid trip through medical school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 23, 2009