Would you pay extra for Concierge Dr. Care?

Doctors charge anywhere from $1,500 per person per year up to $25,000 or more for a family. This fee acts as a retainer on top of all the insurance-covered services.

An example: concierge patients receive a comprehensive physical exam and preventive advice. Those clients are guaranteed premium appointments that begin on time and last 30 minutes, vs. 20 minutes for traditional clients. The extra fee also buys a small USB drive containing the patient’s medical records, and the big lure: 24/7 access, including Debin’s personal cell phone number.

Dr. Susan Debin: said money wasn’t the reason she switched to a hybrid concierge practice after 25 years of primary care. Instead, it was the grueling pace of insurance-dominated care, where high demand and low reimbursements had her seeing 40 patients a day and reviewing charts until 2 a.m. Worse, it was barely possible to assess illness, let alone prevent it..

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I don't know if I would pay for it. If I had health conditions that required that I see a Dr. on a consistent basis (like every month or couple of months), I would think about it. As it is, I have good health coverage but not a lot of time to see the Dr. I don't mind that my appt.'s don't last long, but it would be nice to have them see me when I am scheduled. A lot of Dr.'s do that around here.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Why would we need to its going to be like that for FREE with Obama care, isn't it???????
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If I had the money I would. I hate going to the doctor's but if I knew I had one on call, I would go more often.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't (make that couldn't) pay that much. I suppose I don't mind that some people choose to pay for that if they can afford it. I would love to see insurance companies change their ways so more people would have access to basic care without paying for the"conscierge" service.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I wonder how many of our Congress and Senate pay for this care. I just don't see Pelosi waiting for 30+ minutes to get her pap smear or botox.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I kinda, sorta think that something like this should be the normal way to have a doctor. I recall hearing about a culture that did things differently, they paid the doctor as long as they were not sick. but not to see the doctor if they were sick, because they believed the doctor was supposed to keep you healthy. If you were not sick, the doctor was doing his job right, and got paid.
    If I had the money, I would use a concierge doctor. But I don't have nearly enough money for that kind of service.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:12 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I paid for something similar to this when my husband lost his finger in an accident. I paid a home health system and his orthopedic surgeons nurse practitioner to make house visits. He was so doped up on pain pills it was not safe for him to attend appointments every week and I couldn't get off work to bring him. His DR told me about the program and I was intrigued. The nurse pract. came to our house once a week just as he would be seen by his DR and home health nurses came twice a week to change bandages and perform physical therapy. The nurse pract. would write and give him his prescription of pain pills for that week. I felt secure knowing I was at work and he was home resting and not driving on pain pills to his appts and to get prescriptions filled. It was 7,000 for 6 months, but we didn't have to deal with the ins. co. All went straight to the Dr and nurses. It was well worth it.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Well, aside from the appointments being on time and 24/7 on-call that is what I get already. So I don't think I would pay more for it. I pay a $10 co-pay to see my doctor whenever I need to and don't go running to her for every little scratch and splinter, but she does spend time with me. She asks about seemingly unrelated things that might be important, and remembers things that need checking on from past issues. (For instance, she remembers that I have a dog to walk, and asks how far we walk each day and stuff like that, that could be important,) I hope the implementation of ObamaCare doesn't mess this up.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I already have most of that and it doesn't cost me anything extra. My appts are even on time. My doctor's office no longer sees Medicare or Medicaid patients. They only do private pay and insurance.

I wouldn't pay it myself.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:30 AM on Nov. 23, 2009