is it possible to relactate?

I stopped bfing my son a month or so ago. he is 3 mths old and I want to bf again. can I relactate? I can still get a few drops of milk out at a time. any advise? anyone sucessful at this? please help

mommy2Jayden21

Asked by mommy2Jayden21 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely. First thing, see if he will latch on. If he does, that's great, just get nursing. The more you do it, the more milk you will make. A good pump is usually needed, and pumping every 2 hrs in the beginning, until supply is established. Let us know how it goes!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It's definitely possible. Contact La Leche League, and you'll get advice on how to be successful at it:
    www.llli.org
    1-800-laleche

Good Luck!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yes it is very possible! I just sent you all the information that I have on relactating. It is too much to put into the answer section. I hope it helps!! GOOD LUCK!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I want to say another yes. You can nurse again, I'm sure your milk has not dried up, and even if it has it can come back again. There is a mom who nursed all her children, and then when it came time to adopt she was able to breastfeed that baby! She was not lactating at that point but contiuniously pumped until she was given her adopted baby. I thought that was very interesting and encouraging to moms who want to start up breastfeeding again. :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• yes! good for you! and i hope all the info the other mamas provided helps you out! ( i was going to link the kellymom site too.) no matter how "successful" you are, whether you get back to exclusive or not, you are giving your baby such a gift, just for trying.
    mb_dolphin

Answer by mb_dolphin at 1:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Good luck with this!! There is awesome info to be found on Dr. Lenore's site -
    http://www.asklenore.info/index.html

gunny

Answer by gunny at 2:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I just wanted to add: good for you!!!!!
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 3:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2009