Drugs while pregnant

Does a pregnant woman get drug tested? Do they drug test the baby after he/she is born? The reason I am asking is because my neighbor (she isn't really a friend) is about four months along. Her little boy is around my son's age and they play together quite often. I know her husband smokes pot (which doesn't really bother me as long as it isn't around my child), but the other day she came over to bum a cup of milk. She was talking really slow, and by her eyes you could tell she was high. Before she left she sneezed, and white snot came out everywhere. I'm not ignorant, I know she had been snorting something. We go to the same place for prenatal care, but have different doctors. I feel it's my place to say something, but then again I feel like it's none of my business and I should stay out of it. I'm hoping the doctors (or somebody) will catch on without my interference.Will they? She seems like a good mother; but who really

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 10:16 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• knows? Her son is always clean, as is her home... This worries me as she has watched my son from time to time... Can people really have hidden lives like that?? Do any of you seem like somebody, but at home you're a total different person? You can answer anon if it makes you feel more comfortable... Sorry about being long winded... I've been baffled since friday....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:18 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• That is so sad.

If she starts having complications, the doctor may run different tests to determine the cause. Drug testing isn't a standard thing done for pregnancy. If the baby is ill at birth they may run tests as well. That would most likely be the first stage of intervention, a positive drug test after birth.

This story is going to hurt so many hearts. Women who try hard to conceive really hate women like her.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yes they drug test when kiddos are born, but probably not before that, you might want to place a call to social services, the pot smoking isn't probably that big of deal, but what you described sounds like she was snorting pills, like oxy or some kind of depressant , that could harm her baby and cause brain damage. What if her kid grabs a handful or gets in to the residue left behind on a mirror, a small amount could harm a little one! One thing for sure, I wouldn't let my kid play at that house, but only her kid at mine, you don't know what could be lying around!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:21 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• o it sounds like you have quite a conflict going. i am not sure what i would do either. i feel for that poor unborn baby. maybe place an anon call to her doctors office? i duno. drugs can really take a hold of a person. it sounds like coke or meth to me. before i got married and had children. when i was a teen i had a very severe drug abuse problem. it is hard to stop on your own. and yes you can be normal and be on drugs. especially if she is on meth ya her house is going to be clean. most people high on meth have a thing about stuff beng dirty. it is never clean enough. i have been 100% sober for almost 7 years now. and i would never put my children or family in jeopardy like that. as a matter of fact i am a single mother of 2 now because my i caught my ex husband using. i would rather struggle as a single mother than subject my children to that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• in my opinion i think you should just keep your son away from her if you know or think this is going on. another thing, i would just mind my own business. but thats me.
    i smoke week and i am pregnant, i always have smoked it, with all my pregnancies, and all my kids are fine. as far as her sneezing and white stuff comming out.. more than likely it was not what you think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It depends on the state. I'm a CPS investigator in Texas. Here, all women and babies are drug tested at birth. If the mom and baby test positive, the baby is removed by the state right there in the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Call CPS and report suspected drug abuse.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• It does depend on the state. In MO, the doctors can't do any drug tests without parental consent unless there is a court order. I know this b/c my SIL was busted for pot one week before she gave birth, and the doctors tested her baby for all sorts of drugs and didn't tell her until after they had done it. They got reported for doing testing without her consent. However, If you know they are doing drugs of any sort and it is not for medical purposes, you should report them. Child or no child, what they are doing is illegal and they should know that there are consequences to actions like this. My SIL and BIL are both clean now, have good jobs, and have beautiful three year old girl. They will never do drugs again because of the consequnces of their actions.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• This is a tough one but I think she should be reported. God knows what really goes on in that house and there is already a little boy right in the middle of the drug use you know is going on. And I'm going to go ahead and say it. Pot is a big deal. It is illegal and adults don't pick and choose which laws to follow. It is a gateway drug, obviously, if she has moved on to snorting who knows what.
    Anonymous

• "It depends on the state. I'm a CPS investigator in Texas. Here, all women and babies are drug tested at birth. If the mom and baby test positive, the baby is removed by the state right there in the hospital. "

Really? I have delivered in TX and no one ever said anything about drug testing me and my baby, do they do it routinely for EVERY birth? Just curious, I don't do drugs and wasn't then, but it is a little disturbing to think that they are testing for things and not letting anyone know anything. What else are they doing to my child then that I don't know about?
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 1:13 PM on Nov. 23, 2009