How old to be on Facebook?

A girl I know (but not well) let her dd who is 7 send me a friend invite on Facebook. Why would she help her dd make a fb profile?!? I declined cause i dont want to have to watch what I say on my page but I was shocked. Anyone else know kids this young with a fb or myspace page? How could it possibly be good for a kid in 2nd grade to see a bunch of adults status updates?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You are supposed to be 11 by Facebook guidelines, but some of the stuff I have seen on my wall is enough to make a sailor blush! You did the right thing, and I bet your friend doesn't realize how much this kiddo is going to be able to see!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Wow 7 is young. I would have to decline too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• all my kids have a face book account. including my 7 year old. we have friends and family on all of our accounts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• To anon 41--please tell me you don't let them get on it by them selves! I am not worried about what your friends and family will say to them, it is the fact they can read others walls and see posts from friends who perhaps are not discreet, the Facebook rules state someone must be 11 years old to have their own account, so unless you fibbed about your childs age it should not have allowed you to open one up in the first place, also I myself have been harrassed by creepos on facebook. lord please tell me they don' t have their pics up and you don't allow them to play interactive games like farkle where someone can chat with them, I think your asking for problems!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I thought it was 14 or in high school...maybe that's an old rule or maybe the rule for MySpace? I'm not sure, but I don't allow my 13 year old to have a Facebook account. I would decline a request from a 7 year old and also let her mother know why, or i would ignore the equest and report it to Facebook. I really don't think it's appropriate for a 7 year old to have any sort of social networking page - it's just too hard to monitor what she might be exposed to. Some of the things people post are very inappropriate, and I wouldn't want my gradeschooler thinking that's an ok way for adults to behave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• To me that is way !!!! to young
    I watched my SIL's daughter ...she's had a myspace since she was 11..and of course has that she is 16 on her page. She puts up pics of herself...that to me are inappropriate...( she's not my child so I don't make a deal about it.) . Not to mention there was a Myspace Bust in a town not far from where we are originally from...and DH's neice lives. A couple guys molested a youn g girl...and put the pics up on MySpace...or something like that...i think it's makes kids way too vulnerable. That JMO though :)
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 11:41 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I would never let my children under the age of 15 have any sort of social networking profile. Then when they are 15 it is suprivised by me and only close friends and family are allowed to be on their page. I don't agree with a child having a social networking profile at all, but if I were to agree to it in the future it wouldn't be until they were AT LEAST 15. Children should be out having sleepovers, pizza parties, going to the park, the skating rink, and school acitivies. They shouldn't be housed up on the internet. Especially with the way teenagers speak these days on these sites (and sadly some adults) with the chat speak and text speak. I don't want either of my children learning to type/speak like that. I don't want my children being lured in by some sweet talking pedo, or being harrassed online by a bully from their school. (Or at all) I just think it's all around a bad idea for any child/teen to have a social net. prof
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I can see how if the 7 year old only has people she knows, it should be fine. I would have declined also though. My daughter is 9 and wants an account to play the games, but I told her too bad, find other games.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I didn't start my fb account until I was 19 and in college. And I got a myspace when I was 18. I don't see why anyone would allow their children under 16 to have a social networking account of any kind. But that's just me.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• my sister is 12 and she has one. I am her guardian and so i watch it very closely and i know the password. i think after age 11 as long as you monitor it and make sure u know who they are adding as friends it is alright. i dont let her post a picture of herself she has one of a flower. seven is WAY to young! hope i helped :)
    missjamie100

Answer by missjamie100 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010