Should I switch my pedi or stay?

We are moving about an hour away. But I love my son's pedi! He is the only one we have ever used. Ever since my son was born at 4.1 lbs. I don't mind driving the hour but what if my son needs surgery? Or has an emergency?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you like him, I would stick with him.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I would switch. You'll find one you love again. That is kind of far if your child is sick. Even for a check-up, it would end up taking half the day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Don't switch until you find one you like as much. In other words keep your eyes open, but continue seeing this one until a friend in the new location just raves about hers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We just moved about 30-45 mins away from our child's pedi. We are keeping him, but also where he is a small town with an er that doesn't really do much, so we moved closer to the hospitals that we would have to go to in an emergancy anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Keep the one you have until you find another with whom you're comfortable. Ours is a good 1/2 hour away....I can't imagine having to go much further if need be.

My son broke his leg at 15 months and before we knew that, we had to take him to the office for a check....it was a buckle fracture, so not like his leg was dangling or anything...and then to the hospital (another 1/2 hour) I can't imagine needing to drive further. Your pediatrician probably won't have priviledges at a hospital close to you, either...something else to consider.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• In an emergency you probably won't have your regular pediatrician anyway, right? Usually you end up in the ER if it's a serious emergency. if your son needs surgery, it will be scheduled and you can plan accordingly. In my case, though, the hour drive for well child checkups or ear infections, etc, would get annoying. But then again, I guess I don't get overly attached to pediatricians. My oldest daughter is only 2 1/2 and has had four great pediatricians, because we keep having to move for my husband's job.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2009