I know this isnt what Christmas is about...

But How many gifts do you try to have for your child to open? Do they get alot from family in addition to gifts from you? My dd is 7 and her gifts are getting more expoensive so I feel like the pile will be smaller under the tree this year. In the past she would come out and have a big pile of gifts but some of it was cheap like books, markers, play do. Just seems like this year everything costs more so she will only have ahandful of gifts. Im thinking of getting creative and wrapping small stuff in really big boxes so it still looks full shen she wakes up.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Holidays

• Dont' wrap small stuff in big boxes, that will only disappoint once they open it. Kind of deceptive , ya know. Who cares how big the pile is as long as she is getting some gifts - better then some will get this year. We stick to our budget, no matter how big the pile ends up. Pull things forward from under the tree, so they are not tucked behind, and leave the branches low so that under the tree doesn't look empty. Just a few idea's!! I know what you are saying about feeling bad that the gift pile looking small.... but like you said, as they get older the gifts get more expensive. Usually this happens gradually and they don't really notice. ( I hope!! LOL)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My kids each get four gifts from Mom and Dad then grandma will get them a few things and one big Santa gift
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I always say i want to keep it to like 4 or 5 presents and a stocking, but it always gets out of hand. Hes our only child right now, so thats how it gets that way, but i think a few is fine. Its actually humbling, and dare i say character building? If its just unwrapping youre worried about, let her play santa, open all the gifts, and give the gift to whomever it belonged to. Maybe focus on one gift that you know she REALLY wants, and the 'disappointment' youre worried about might be subsided. Christmas is harsh.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Well, we don't do Christmas, though I did as a kid (I'm not a Christian anymore).
    Growing up, we never had LOTS of presents - one or two from our parents, maybe four others from relatives. We would designate a "Santa" who distributed the gifts (your daughter is getting to the age where handing out presents is almost as much fun as opening them :-) who made sure that each person got one gift at a time, that each person waited their turn to open something, and that we all got to see all the gifts (and say thank you if the giver was present). Can you tell I'm from a large family? LOL
    A few meaningful gifts she will enjoy and appreciate for months or years will be far more pleasing to her than a huge pile of stuff that will be broken and discarded in a few months time. A big box full of art supplies, a stack of books that will grow with her, food and dishes to play house with - those kinds of things.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• You can still buy inexpensive gifts at any age to add bulk. I'm an adult and my mom still wraps up little dollar gifts for me! You can get gloves for $1.50 at Target I love these! You can get little girly make up items like clear glitter nail polish, emery boards, nail tattoos, lip balms by Bonne Bell or whatever. You can do the cheapie little gifts you did when she was a little kid just upgrade them to less kiddish stuff. Michael's has fun arts supplies. Little girls love arts and crafts and they have a dollar section too.
    Anonymous

• Hit the dollar stores. They have cheap gifts like dolls and doll clothes and you can buy a bunch or toys. Most of the time, toys break anyway, so at least you only paid a dollar or so for them.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2009