Parakeets??

My little brother has a blue parakeet. He doesn't take care of it, and my mother is done taking care of his bird. (He's 13 btw) She offered it to give it to me (well to my son really), because my DS loves the him so much. I talked to my SO, and my mother in law, and both have agreed to help me keep the cage clean; as I've heard I shouldn't clean one out where I'm pregnant, along with a kitty's litter.... I really want it, but have never taken care of one. I have handled this one, fed and watered him, but as far as the wings and beak I've never done... Is it hard to learn? I would never mistreat an animal of any kind, but I'm afraid I'd hurt it trying to trim the wings. I want to learn, but would like advice on this before I get him...

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 10:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Pets

• they really are alot of trouble. i think the little boy should take care of it as its his bird in the 1st place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I had two when I was younger. Take him to the vet and ask for a lesson in trimming the beak and wings. Mine never had a problem with their beaks growing too long because I kept a cuttlebone in the cage. They'll also chew on any toys you put in there which will also help the beak thing. Good Luck momma!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 10:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Our parakeet just died; we found him about four years ago. They are very easy to take care of. Don’t trim the wings! Using real sticks as perches and a cuttlebone will eliminate the need for any trimming. Fresh water twice a day, fresh seeds every day, fresh romaine every day, a millet stick once a week and a cleaning once a week all take very little time. We let Tweeter fly around the bathroom everyday, especially while we cleaned the cage every week.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I had a parakeet when I was younger. I think they are pretty easy pets. They aren't very messy really. If you put newspaper in the bottom of the cage it is simple to clean out. Vet clinics can trim wings for you and there shouldn't be a need to have his beak trimmed if you keep a cuttle bone in his cage.
    sherwins.girl

Answer by sherwins.girl at 1:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Don't forget to keep an extra food cup full of fine grit in there. They eat it to grind their food in their crop, since they don't have teeth, you know!
    Anonymous

• Parakeets aren't that difficult. I would suggest if you are afraid to clip the wings and beak that you ask a vet to do it so you can watch the first time. However, keeping a cuttle bone in the cage as someone said will keep the beak down, never had to trim my birdies beak. As far as the wings, well, you don't have to clip them, if he needs taming you can clip one side to make it harder to fly but make it so he can fly a little (in case he falls or something) If he is tame and doesn't bite he can be a great pet to a kid that knows to be nice to animals. It is very simple to trim wings, you are just cutting feathers a certain length, seeing it done helps a lot. For his food don't feed just seed, they make pelleted diets that are healthier and also still need to give some fresh fruits and veggies daily. Millet is a nice treat. They can learn tricks and even learn to talk well, not as clear as other parrots, but still very smart!
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 11:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2009