Bad diaper rash!

My daughter is 22 months old and has had bad diaper rash for 3 weeks! I change her every couple of hours, and desitin seems to be making it worse. It's just on her little private part, and some of it is raised and it's very red. I am now trying udder cream and she is going diaperless. I have also switched diaper brands. Suggestions?

crystalhuskey

Asked by crystalhuskey at 10:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could be a yeast infection. Usually, if diaper rash cream doesn't show improvement, its a yeast infection or bacterial. You should prob call your ped.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My Zowie Beth had horriable diaper rash since she was born till the age of 18 months - nothing would help. I would try Resinol and Triple Paste these are uber exspensive but its a worth a try. - Good Luck!
    silvershewolf

Answer by silvershewolf at 11:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I am trying nystatin right now; I think you're right, it may be a yeast infection. I didn't think about that.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 11:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• butt paste, the miricale cure! I bet she has a yeast infection, call doc, and take her in, are you BF? Sometimes a change in your diet can upset the balance of thing, if not did you change formula? I swear by Butt Paste for everything now, but if it is yeast it won't help that! Good luck mommy!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Lotrimin AF three times a day, a barrier cream (which is all destin is) at every other diaper change.

Soak in a bath of warm water and baking soda. NO SOAP. (at least once a day, twice is better)

Stop using wipes and use only a washcloth with warm water for clean up at diaper changes...NO SOAP.

Make sure you wipe and DRY at each diaper change.

We did this with my sons (they each had ONE diaper rash and it was this bad LOL) and it started clearing up almost instantly..gone in three days)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I would try NO wipes (use wet paper towels or wash cloths) and LOTS of air time. If it's not going away, have the dr prescribe some yeast ointment because it's probably that. But air time is super important, even if it means cleaning up messes on the floor.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• burts bees diaper ointment!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Buy a tube of Clotrimazole antifungal cream (used for Athletes foot and women's yeast infections). It is about 1% concentrate and works wonders. The athletes foot cream is considerably less expensive than the woman's yeast infection products- I think you can get it for a couple of bucks at a drugstore.
    When I first heard about this it sounded crazy. I triple checked with my pediatritian and with the pharmacist at the drug store. My son had a diaper rash for weeks that would not get better. I used this for 2 days and it was totally cleared up. Apply just like you would any diaper rash cream- and be prepared to see a clean hiney soon.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Please make sure it is a yeast infection before you use any medication,,, DS was wrongly treated for a rash that made it much much worse!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Yup, sounds like yeast. If you can go to the dr, they have a prescription they can write for you for a cream that will clear it up in a day or two. Second, the athlete's foot stuff, but I'm a bit wary of putting foot cream on my baby's bottom.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2009