My 15 month old wont gain weight

I took my daughter to the Dr. for her 15 month check up and she only gained 6 oz in 3 months. She ended up having to get blood drawn to make sure she didnt have anemia (which she didnt) She weighs 20 lbs. 15 oz and now is in the 25th percentile. I feed her 3 meals a day and snacks in between and she seems satisfied. I feel like I might not be giving her enough calories because everything I feed her is fruit and healthy foods and no extra sugar so it has low calories. I feel like the only way to get her to gain weight is feed her junk food which I really dont want to do but I'm afraid because I feed all healthy foods and no fatty foods that I'm undernuturing her. Any advice would really help.

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has barely gained any weight at all since her 12 month check up and she is now 16 months. She is thinning out. She is much more mobile now and at this age they slow down a lot in growth. My daughter is about 27lbs and still in the 75th percentile. I am not worried. She doesn't always eat as much as I'd like, but I offer her healthy meals all day long and she picks and eats when she wants. If you're really concerned, maybe you could give her some pediasure. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Try giving her Vitamin D milk :D
    silvershewolf

Answer by silvershewolf at 11:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i do give her vitamin d milk
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• As long as she is eating healthy foods and eating well don't worry. Kids grow at different rates feeding her junkfoods just to put the pounds on is going to only create unhealthy eating habits and an obesity problem on down the road. Keep in mind that the growth chart is only a tool not a rule, that it's comparing your baby to every child in the US a lot of whom are overweight.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Oh, and if it's a real issue I would consider some of the Ensure supplement type drinks. I can't recall the names of them off hand but they make some specifically for toddlers now.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• If your dr is truely concerned they will refer you to specialists. Sometimes though you have to put your foot down insisting that what ever is wrong is important. When my daughter was 2 months old she had a hemangioma on her lip that the dr said was just a sucking blister... WRONG... turns out the likely cause she wasn't gaining weight was the two on her liver. Which may have gone unchecked if we hadn't insisted that the one on her lip get checked out. After she was started on medication, she started gaining wieght and kept on going!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• My child had the same issue, they said she was within her age range so I was told not to worry.

Today she is 45 inches tall and 43 pounds....still within her age range. My whole family would freak out on me saying she was so underweight, even called child services on me and said she was under nurished and I had to show the reports from the visits ( I kept them all and wrote them down too on pamphlets from the office for later referral to place in her BABY Book of first 10 yrs.....)

They found she was fine. Kids grow in spurts and soon your daughter will be growing a bit more when sheis older and more active.

As long as she is not 5 pounds underweight or 10 pounds and the pediatriction has no cause for alarm, then she is fine.

Maybe give her a few extra snacks. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Unless she's always been at a much higher percentile on weight you really shouldn't worry. 2 of my 3 kids have always been at the 10 - 15% for weight, and the other one is consistently near the 50th %. Also, one of mine actually lost a few ounces between the 12 month check up and the 15 month check up - it's VERY normal for weight gain to be slowed significantly at this age because they are becoming more mobile and "running it off". There is absolutely nothing wrong with being in the 25th percentile for weight, and there is no need to start feeding her junk to make her gain weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• They do need some fat. Eating healthy is great, but you need to do some research on "healthy fats". At her age, healthy is one thing....fat free is a no-no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Babies need complex carbs, like whole grain pasta, brown rice, beans, etc.; they also need good fats for brain development, like avocado, egg yolk olive oil, flax, tofu, etc. Here is a fun recipe you can make together: Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 AM on Nov. 23, 2009