First Thanksgiving!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Okay, this is my first thanksgiving, and its already falling apart. Part of my family canceled on me, so im basically cooking for my SOs family. Which is fine, but disapointing. But....I need to finish my menu...im at a loss for what to serve. Im trying to go the traditional route. I have my turkey its 17 lbs, DONT KNOW HOW LONG TO COOK IT! (im cooking it in a bag though)....I want to do Yams or sweet potatos with the marshmellows on top (dont know which one is better i dont know how to make either, i like both)...His mom is bringing a ham and making mac n cheese. I wanna make stuffing too!? what else though...grr..i feel liek im terrible at this! any advice will be appreciated!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• allrecipes.com is great!

corn is good cause most kids like it, green bean cassarole, mashed potatoes, pies, cranberry sauce, gravy, veggie tray or cheeseball to tide people over till food is ready, rolls with real butter YUMMY! do as much as you can in advance so you can enjoy the day.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Oh i do know i want to soak my turkey wednesday in salt/sugar water!! heard that helps make it juicy!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Green bean casserole is always a hit at my house
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Okay stop stressing!!! Paula Deen is the queen of homade homecooking, so go on Food network and look up her recipie for sweet potatoes, you have ham and mac and cheese coming, so you sitll need stuffing, gravy and probably reg mashed potatoes, and rolls with all of this I would make a light salad and perhaps steamed broccoli, or asparagus, and buy the pies!! You will be fine, the turkey should cook until it comes out to be 160 degrees when you insert a meat therm. inbetween the leg and push it deep down, let is sit for about 20 before you carve, what times dinner, sounds like you have room? LOL good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071122011022AAimeHk

www.foodnetwork.com

Check out this website too..one of my fave sites: www.allrecipes.com  you can find out how to cook the yams...etc....

Green beans on the side or as a cassrole is a good side dish, mashed potatoes or cooked cut potatoes, gravy......

Good luck and HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY! 

Hope all goes well....and DO check out the links for helpful hints, tips and recipes!

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• WOW... great minds think alike here on Cafe Mom! You guys rock!

She won't have any trouble seeing we all stress a bit and like these sites for help! LOL

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• This is what I do - I cook stuffing, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes the night before. Then I heat them in the oven when I take the turkey out. Corn is a good vegetable, I'm doing that and broccoli. Just use frozen veggies and boil them - easy. I don't think you need ham too. Stuffing - follow directions on bag and add fried onions and mushrooms. Keep it simple. Doing things the night before really take the pressure off. Look for directions for your turkey right on the package, or on the bags package. Good luck!!! Everyone will know it is your first thanksgiving, don't worry. It's good you have a small crowd.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:11 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• This is the only green bean casserole that I have ever liked. I found it on a package at Trader Joes. I put a sprinkle of swiss cheese on top.

6 Tbl unsalted butter, plus more for dish (I am sure that olive oil can be substituted for most or all)
    1 medium onion
    1 pound mushrooms, quartered
    2 tsp coarse salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper (I use white)
    24 oz bag Trader Joe's frozen French Green beans
    6 Tbl all purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
    2 cups milk (cow, soy, rice, etc.)
    8 oz Trader Joe's Gourmet Fried Onion pieces
    In a large skillet over medium heat melt 2 Tbl butter. Add onion (I would guess that it should be diced first) and sautee' until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Season with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; set aside to cool.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 11:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Cook green beans according to directions on bag (I just let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator). Melt the remaining 4 Tbl butter in a medium sauce pan over med-low heat. Add 1/4 cup flour, whisk constantly until mixture begins to turn golden, about 2 minutes. Pour in milk and continue whisking until mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Pour over beans and toss to combine. Butter a 9x13 glass or ceramic baking pan and spread the green bean mixture. Heat the broiler, positioning rack about 8 inches from heat. Cook casserole, covered, until mixture is bubbly and heated through, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until top is golden brown, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle fried onion pieces over top and serve.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Sweet Potato Pudding
    6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2/3 cup dark brown sugar
    2/3 cup white sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    2/3 cup orange juice
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash.
    In a large bowl, combine 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, orange juice and vanilla until smooth. Pour into prepared dish.
    Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes.
    Notes: instead of the sugar and orange juice, I use ½ can of sweetened condensed milk; instead of the vanilla I use a really good dark rum. If you use rum be sure to taste it frequently to make sure that it has not spoiled