Holiday cards

I have a picture that was taken by a professional. I want to upload it to a website that makes Christmas cards. The companies name is no where on the photo..can I do this? Im sure Im not supposed too, but I want it to be my Christmas card picture. Would they call me? or just make the cards?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that if you've paid for the picture package, you're entitled to use the pics however you like. If you now want to use it on your holiday card, you should be able to. JMO. If you did NOT pay for the pic package and just uploaded the sample, that is probably a situation that could get you in trouble.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I bought the pictures, i just want to use them as my card now.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• The digital picture may not be a high enough resolution. Try it. I know on Shutterfly, they will let you know if the picture isn't good enough. Give it a try. They won't call you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Many places won't let you use a professional picture as a holiday card without written permission. I tried to once online, and they sent me an e-mail asking me for the letter. The same happened when I went in person to another place, but I had the letter that time.

So, now I either buy the rights, which if you are using a real, professional photographer will be expensive and they may or may not do it. If you are using a JC Penny Portrait studio, or Sears, it will be around $100.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Unless you have a signed release by the photographer it is copyright violation . Most places including WalMArt, Costco, Walgreens and Sams will not make the copies. Look on the back of the photos. Usually there is a printing that says Professional paper.. or Do NOt Copy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2009