How do you do Holidays/Birthdays?

As far as Holidays & Birthdays how do you decide who's House to go to?

My family always has Thanksgiving at my Aunt & Uncle's House, this year we're having it at our House because we're going out of town the next day on a trip to see my FIL.

Last year we had to do my Daughter's Birthday at my Aunt & Uncle's House, because if not then nobody would have attended because they don't like to travel an hour & half.

It kind of bothers me that we always go & see them, but they bring their grand-daughter where we live to her mother's house & they don't even stop by to say "Hi".

Would you go to A Family member's House who never calls or never comes to see you?? Unless you go to their house or have Holidays & Birthdays at their House???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow you just described one of my aunts! We used to do holidays at her house until my parents got pissed off that they were always too good to stop by and visit our family. Needless to say I haven't seen them since my grandma passed in 2006. (I never have really liked her)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We stay here mainly.
    We went to my moms for a couple of Christmases but we felt like we wanted to be home with our kids and enjoy that instead of dealing with relatives who we may or may not get along with well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• We go to my aunts house. She lives about an hour away. We see them at weddings and other gatherings throughout the year but it is really hard with work and kids to have much more of a realtionship.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2009

• I look at it this way.. Just because they're family doesn't mean that I'm obligated to do things with them. If I don't like them as people, then I don't want our children around them. There are many more wonderful people in the world, I would rather have at our celebrations in our home, and those that we invite are people we love and want to be around. So I don't bother inviting the "family" that are judgmental, etc, I don't want our kids to learn from them...I haven't seen any of my extended family since my Father passed away in 2005, and me and my family are better for it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• Thanks! I just annoys me that we always have to go there & nobody comes here to visit us. It just doesn't seem very fair to me or my husband. We got & see everybody but they can't take time out of their weekend when they don't work to come & see us for a change. I guess I'm just sick of it. They ruined our Daughter's Birthday Party last year by yelling at each other & etc. So, I'm at the point to where I don't want to do Holidays with them or anything. They pass my parents house up all the time & never stop to see them either. I wanted to see if other people had the same issues as our Family. We've argeeded to do the Holidays at our House this year & being our own Tradition.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 12:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2009